Question about ipod Touch 2G distorted sound and Apple's Limited Warranty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4GHz, 160GB, 2GB,SD / Iphone 3Gs 16GB
I have a 2nd Generation 32Gb ipod Touch. It was sold to me from a friend for $160 cause he already had a 8GB. he told me that the sound was a little distorted at times but it wasn't a big deal, so I bought it. After placing my headphones into the Touch I discovered that the sound is a bit distorted and that the sound only comes out of the right speaker. However, if I press firmly on the headphone jack while it's in the Touch...both speakers work and the distortion stops. I've tried my headphones in my macbook ad they work fine, so their not the problem. I used another set of headphones in the Touch and again, I had the same problem. The Touch has NO water damage what so ever. Which only left me to believe that the issue is with the Touch itself.

Since the Touch is still under Apple's Limited Warranty till March 2010, I contacted Apple Customer Care. She ran me through a few troubleshooting techniques and they didn't resolve the issue so she scheduled me an appointment at the Apple Store.

So my question is do any of you think that they'll issue me a new Touch or would they just take this one and just repair it? I'm hoping that they issue me a new one or even a refurbished one.

**Sorry for the long story**;D

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4GHz, 160GB, 2GB,SD / Iphone 3Gs 16GB
You can close this thread. Apple gave me a new Touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ipod Touch 2G 8GB
Question about your new Touch.

I just bought my 2G 8Gb Touch used from a friend, and he didn't realize it, but using the Internal Speaker sounds like crap, all distorted and you can barely understand anything coming out of it.

So, I checked on Apple's Support site, and the warranty was still good, so I put in a replacement order with apple. They sent an empty box to me via Fedex on Thursday morning (should be here by Tuesday)...anyway, my question was how long did it take them to get the new Touch to you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
From the sound of the op's posts he went into the store and got a new one. He didn't mail it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ipod Touch 2G 8GB
I went into the local Mac shop here and they said that they do not do any warranty work with Ipods. And if it was out of warranty it would cost 25.00 to have it diagnosed, I would then have to go out, buy the part myself, then pay 75.00/hr (they said it would take 2hrs, if it was the speaker) to have it replaced. I might as well go get a new 8GB 3rd gen for 197.00 at Wal-mart. I was just curious if anyone has mailed it in, how long it has taken to get it back?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.