MacBook Pro (Early 2008) won't start

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hello,

I have an early 2008 model MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard and Windows XP through Boot Camp.

I went to use the computer yesterday and was unable to turn it on. I looked up the Apple support website on another computer and tried the two fixes there (I believe it is called resetting the PRAM and SRAM?) but still no luck. :(

The battery light indicates that the battery is fully charged and there is no indication on the computer that it is turned on, no light on the opening clip button thing and no light on the Apple symbol.

I have booked in to see the Genius Bar on the weekend, even though I do not have Applecare and my machine is now out of warranty, but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and if they can tell me what was done to fix it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're unable to turn it on at all, that eliminates trouble shooting it using your original install media. The problem could be something as simple as needing a new power cord|charger unit, or it could be your input power board and control is defective. The repair may be expensive since you're no longer under warranty. Might be wise to ask the Genius bar at the Apple store to give you an estimate of repair cost first.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Thanks for your help! I am hoping it's something simple (meaning cheap!) to fix.

Do you know off hand if people will buy non-functioning MBPs to rip apart? Kinda no point having it if it's too expensive to fix :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.