Lost automatic language-change function - Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Recently I bought Snow Leopard and discovered a perk beyond my wildest dreams - the operating system automatically switched between English and French (the two input languages i have selected) as I typed! Wow! Didn't read about that anywhere, and it sure was handy! I switch between those languages all the time, and i'm bad at spelling in both of them:Smirk: And it worked so well! Often within two words it had already made the change!

And then, I lost my computer on the metro and had to buy a new one. I just downloaded the latest version of Snow Leopard and migrated with time machine, and low and behold, the automatic language switching spell check function is gone. Gone!

Was it all just a hallucination? Was it too good to be true? How can I get it back?

Note: the functionality may have been safari 4 specific. That's where i noticed it mostly, not sure if I saw it work elsewhere on my computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
I am not sure about snow leopard because I only have leopard but as a Canadian I use Canadian english and Canadian French

*remember this is for 10.5 and not 10.6 but it should be similar*

Open system preferences>International>Input menu (tab)

Then select your default languages.

I hope that helps but I am not 100% certain.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks, but those have been my defaults since the start. I found a website saying that snow leopard is supposed to have language auto-detection, but mine just isn't working anymore.

Any other help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.