Pre-Unibody MacBook Pro Battery Life?

Reaction score
What's the projected battery life on the older 15" MBP's? I just picked up a used one, it's about a year and a half old, and I notice that the battery will say 3 hours when the ac adapter is disconnected, but will drop pretty fast. I'd say I end up with about 2 hours max.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
It does seem to vary depending where the cells were manufactured, what you see in the Menu Bar tends to be a no load situation, so activity is always going to vary that time. Personally i would never buy used but put the $$$ towards a new one. They last longer if they have been looked after as per this

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have always gotten 2-3 hours pretty much no matter what I do.

Download CoconutBattery. It'll let you know all about it.

If the current battery capacity is low, then calibrate it. See here for that and more.

My current battery is about 18 months old. It was down to about 60% of original. Calibrated it once a week for three weeks and was able to bring it back up to 91% of original capacity. After you do that, calibrate it once a month or so. Other than that, use your notebook like you want to. (I don't follow my own advice, I just do what I want with it all the time.)

While $100 sounds like a lot for a battery, for what they do vs the number of months they will last is really an insignificant amount. At only 20 months you're down to $5 a month expense.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.