MS Word CUstom Dictionary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
MS Word 2004. A check of this forum doesn't seem to provide an answer to this particular issue.

I cannot add words, eg. Eng (Aus), to the Custom Dictionary from the R-click menu within a Word document, the option to add words to the custom dictionary is grayed out - which doesn't make sense! I can however choose to have Word ignore what it defines as an error.

I've checked through Word preferences, and there is nothing I can find that enables me to add words to a custom dictionary (the only one available incidentally).

I've repaired OS permissions with Onyx - still no difference.

Word is currently being used with Panther, whereas with Tiger on another computer I can add and delete words from the Word custom dictionary.

Advice or thoughts please.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Hugh:

I went through the same thing around a year ago when I transferred my custom dictionary from Office 2007 (Windows) to my OS X installation to use with Office 2008.

After trying everything for weeks with no success I posted the problem to the MS Office for Mac forum. A real nice fellow from the UK, a MS MVP, had me email my custom.dic file to him to look over. He found that the file had somehow become corrupt and completely reworked it for me and then sent it back via email. It worked fine after that.

Your custom.dic file might be corrupt. Open it up with textedit and look it over for extra spaces, bad punctuation, and so forth. Remove anything from it that doesn't look right and give it another try.

Regards.

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Gracias chscag, will try. Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.