Unable to Find Windows7 audio card drivers :(

Reaction score
I recently installed windows 7 through bootcamp on my 20" early 2008 mac.
After being very impressed with the shiny new layout (Compared to the dullness of XP) and various other new features i found out i infact had no sound :(
After reading through a couple of threads i saw people saying to get the realtek hd audio codecs, so i downloaded and installed.
After the installation process i then started to get sound but when I played music all the audio was heavily distorted and there was no headphone or mic support?
I then thought i could possibly roll back the driver, so after rolling back... it turns out there was actually audio and mic support but the audio coming through the speakers and my headphones were very faint.

So is there a way i can fix this problem without me having to go back to windows XP?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't mention which version of Boot Camp you used to install Windows 7. The Snow Leopard DVD installs BC 3.0 which has the latest sound drivers for the Realtek chip. Installing codecs for the Realtek is not going to improve the sound volume. Only the latest sound drivers for the Realtek will do that.

You say the sound volume was low after rolling back the driver to the original. Did you check the master volume control settings from Control Panel sound?

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm not to sure on which version of bootcamp i'm actually running. My os Is 10.5.8 but i have not purchased snow leopard yet. So by purchasing snow leopard and installing the latest version of bootcamp that should resolve the problem? Would i then need to remove the partition and start over though?

Yes the master volume was turned up to the maximum allowed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.