Mac sound card: What is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2GHz OSX Snow Leopard
Im quite new to the mac world having used microsoft since windows 95 and various linux distros and am thoroughly enjoying it (IT JUST WORKS!!) :D .

Im trying to find out what the built in sound cards are in the white Macbooks and Mac Pros, i've looked around and there seems to be no info :Confused: .

The reason i'm looking is that i know that Mac sound cards don't have a small GM card in them anymore, instead they use Quicktime GM to play back MIDI sounds. I just cant find any written evidence of this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm not totally sure what specific info you're looking for...but if it helps...Mac's really don't have sound cards...the sound processing electronics are built into the motherboard...and always have been.

- Nick

OP
folksteve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No wonder they get the Macs so small. That would explain why i get no results when searching for "mac built in sound card" :[

I've been out of the computer game for a while but I remember being told that sound cards used to have a GM (general MIDI) synth in the sound card to play back MIDI files.

I recently asked my Uni music production lecturer about this (as he's used Apple computers for quite a while now) and he said that Macs instead use Quicktime music synthesiser software to play back MIDI.

I tried looking around again and got this Legacy: Audio Developer Note: Introduction to Audio Developer Note

However, it still doesn't make me any the wiser with regards to MIDI.

How frustrating :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
How frustrating :Not-Amused:

I still have no idea what it is that you want to know, why you care, or what you're frustrated about.

Your instructor is correct that Macs use (and have always used) software, typically QuickTime, to play MIDI. There is (and has always been) alternative playback software available for more advanced users and musicians as well.

Is there a particular task you are trying to accomplish, or are you looking for a history lesson about music production on the Macintosh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Im trying to find out what the built in sound cards are in the white Macbooks and Mac Pros, i've looked around and there seems to be no info :Confused: .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, lets compare the white MacBook and the mighty Mac Pro :D

OP
folksteve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reason I was asking is that it's for a project im doing for Uni. The project was going to use just MIDI to copy a real Bass line in Logic Pro 8.

I've been very confused with regards to how Macs use MIDI (as i've only started using them and not been keeping up to date with MIDI stuff).

All in all im just going to use a MIDI synth in Logic and not worry about the whole General MIDI thing.

"I still have no idea what it is that you want to know, why you care, or what you're frustrated about."

Basically i dont care (its just for an assignment) and im no longer frustrated WOOHOO!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.