Outdoor App. for Airport Express

Reaction score
Greetings I'm new here.

I have an 802.11N Airport Express and need to direct the signal across some RR tracks to a separate studio building about 100 ft. away in line of sight. I have experimented and the signal will only carry if mounted about 2 m above ground on the outside of the source building.

Has anyone tried to make a weatherproof housing our found one available commercially that might work to secure and protect the unit (and provide it with power and ethernet cable).

Thanks.

twr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 uni mbp
call an electrician or electrical supply, ask for a NEMA 3 rain tight enclosure.
you should be able to find one large enough to fit the airport and an electrical outlet and other needed to plug it in with.
But are made of metal, with no vent slots, so could be possible to have signal or temp issues with the airport in one.

OP
C
Reaction score
twr

Thanks. Much appreciated. I'm on my way to industrial supply to see if there's an equivalent in plastic.

CTHKAH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If there are no Power Transformers between u and the destination you could use those gizmos that put the signal on and off the 110volt/230volt AC Broadband over Power Lines

Initially i used one of the round 802.11g extremes to cross a 70ft divide between buildings but it was marginal so put another round extreme on windowsill of destination and it worked well inside the destination building. When i upgraded to the squarish Extreme it bridged the gap without the second unit at the destination.

OP
C
Reaction score
It appears I don't have the signal strength to bridge the gap with Airport Express. I've been reading about transceivers and directional antennas but there's a confusing plethora of technologies and brands with conflicting claims. Some are 802.11N capable and some don't seem to be. What's the best approach for a single stationary access point?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.