What exact version of XP do I need (for bootcamp/gaming)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 2.93 GHz Intel MacBook Pro
I am completely illiterate when it comes to PC software. Over the next few months, I would like to get Bootcamp running with Windows XP. I am planning on playing Star Wars: The Old Republic when it comes out, and since it is looking likely that it won't come out for Mac's, I need to look into Bootcamp and Windows.

What I have issues with, is that I see so many different options for Windows XP when I search for it. And considering it isn't $15, I have to make sure I'm buying the correct software.

I'm pretty sure that what I need is "Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Full Edition with Service Pack 2" correct?

What is the price I should be paying, and can anyone recommend the best site or provide a link that can verify exactly what I need (such as an Amazon page or whatever).

Thanks for any help, as I am just clueless when it comes to this Windows stuff, and I have to make sure I get it right.

Also I have a May 2009 17" Macbook Pro w/ 2.93 GHz and 4GB RAM, if that matters any.

After doing some research, it seems that buying OEM's are perfectly fine, so would something like this:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 Full Version OEM - E85-02665-OEM be fine?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yup, that's a perfectly good CD and you'll do fine sticking with XP SP2 (updating to SP3 once you've installed it) and the OEM CD is perfectly fine. You'd think with the release of Vista and Windows 7 that the XP CD's would cost significantly less, but I guess not..

Regards

Reaction score
Yup, that's a perfectly good CD and you'll do fine sticking with XP SP2 (updating to SP3 once you've installed it) and the OEM CD is perfectly fine. You'd think with the release of Vista and Windows 7 that the XP CD's would cost significantly less, but I guess not..

Regards

It's retained it's value because XP was the last of the "stable" Windows OS's. Vista was crap when it was released and took many updates to get fixed.

Vista did finally get fixed but in the end it was nothing more than XP SP3.

XP is an 8 year old operating system and many people are still using it faithfully to this day even after Windows 7 has been released. I'm one of 'em.

When I no longer need it for anything, I hate to admit that I will miss that old friend.

Long live OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.