White dot on my screen (not a dead pixel)

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been experiencing this weird problem on my fairly new Macbook Pro (august 2009). I can't really remember if it has been an issue from the beginning or only after my upgrade to Snow-Leopard.

There is a small white dot on my screen. It seems to overlay everything. When i activate Exposé-All windows, it seems to move towards the center and disappear!

I don't have translucent menu activated as is suggested as the problem when i search through google.

Anybody got any ideas of what is wrong??

Attached pictures of the problem:
Entire desktop
Zoomed in on the dot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I am guessing that it's software related if it's a moving white dot.
I'd run repair disk permissions, and then install the 10.6.2 combo update Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update (Combo)
If that doesn't fix it, I'd also run a hardware test from your install discs that came with your MBP, as it could be a faulty graphics card.
Did you install any software at the time other than upgrade to SL, especially any software that alters the dock, menu bar, etc.?

If none of the above fixes it, I have no doubt that you can get it replaced with a brand new MBP being so new, perhaps even with a HD or Ram upgrade for your troubles if you get the right person on the right day at Apple store :)
Personally, I would be heading to an Apple store first thing, or even a few different ones, to see which store gave me the best offer:D

OP
C
Reaction score
I am guessing that it's software related if it's a moving white dot.
I'd run repair disk permissions, and then install the 10.6.2 combo update Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update (Combo)
If that doesn't fix it, I'd also run a hardware test from your install discs that came with your MBP, as it could be a faulty graphics card.
Did you install any software at the time other than upgrade to SL, especially any software that alters the dock, menu bar, etc.?

Before i go ahead and install the combo update... Is it something that i haven't received with the normal updates being sent out from Apple? Cause on that front I'm fully updated!

I'm running the repair now.. And the only thing i can remember installing is a theme manager called magnifique, which i don't use. Uninstalling it now as well. Let's see if that changes anything!

OP
C
Reaction score
So, i did both the repair and uninstall of the magnifique application and restarted the mac.... Weirdly enough the white dot is now no longer in that place.. However it seems to be up somewhere in the top corner of the menu (can't see it though until i do the exposé-all windows or similar.. Where it then goes towards the middle and disappears..)...

This is extremely weird.................

I'm thinking that it can't be a hardware issue as you suggest. For example a faulty graphics card... The white dot wouldn't appear on a screenshot would it?? Or would it.. I'm not really sure.. Hmmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I have heard of a lot of problems with magnifique, even after uninstalling, and believe that this is the cause.
The combo updater even though it is 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 combined, it doesn't just install 10.6.1 & then 10.6.2, but has an altered package that installs in one step, and therefor has been installed in the system slightly differently than it has in individual updates, and also, usually it has a few tweaks added.
I seems to fix glitches for many users, however, magnifique being the cause, I don't know that this will help, but it can't hurt to try.

If you have a backup that you can go to from before you installed magnifique, I would be erasing the HD, and restoring from that backup, and if the problem wasn't fixed, straight to Mac for the new machine.

OP
C
Reaction score
It did indeed not help to install the update suggested..... :/

Of course it's been quite a while since i did a time machine backup.. Been delaying it for many weeks.. Lol.. Stupid me.

So more and more points to the problem actually being with magnifique then....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have that backup from before magnifique, and the changes aren't that major, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
ie. documents, music, pictures, etc... you can just drag the contents over from the backup to the relevant folders, and reinstall any applications that you have added, or drag the drag and drop applications (apps that you can just drag and drop without having to move over other files).
This would only take a matter of minutes to do.
In saying that, I don't know how much you have added/modified in the few weeks since your last backup.
If your backup is Leopard, then you will need to reinstall Leopard doing a clean install, backup once complete, and then upgrade to Snow Leopard, which I would do a clean install with that too, and then when prompted, restore from backup.
In reading this, it sounds a lot more tedious than it actually is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
actually, if your backup is 10.5, if you boot from SL disc, and erase disk in utilites, and then choose restore from backup, you don't need install 10.5 first.

OP
C
Reaction score
I just did a fresh install of snow leopard.. Still the same issue :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK.... I'd be heading to Apple and taking advantage of the warranty while you still have one.
Since it is a moving white dot and not a dead pixel, they will repair your mac.

OP
C
Reaction score
Actually already did that.. Or that is to a reseller.. They refused.. So I'm gonna call Apple directly instead. Let you know what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.