so glad i switched

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I really like their approach to explain Windows with the whole nightmare thing. It's quite entertaining to read. Two thumbs up!

OP
macman88
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook g4 1.33, 768 ram
if you log onto microsoft.com anyday, you will always see something about viruses or spyware or another security risk. if you log onto apple, it will be great stories about what is being accomplished on the mac.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
That's a little funny, if you think about it. A car manufacturer's website doesn't list all the things that are wrong with their cars and warning people to be careful when using them.

T

Thud

iWhat said:
That's a little funny, if you think about it. A car manufacturer's website doesn't list all the things that are wrong with their cars and warning people to be careful when using them.

Actually it would be nice if car manufacturer web sites had links to current recalls up on the front page, so we don't have to search around for them.

OP
macman88
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook g4 1.33, 768 ram
yes but having things like "you have to do this and that everyday in order for you to use it normally" would scare most people away.

F

falltime

macman88 said:
yes but having things like "you have to do this and that everyday in order for you to use it normally" would scare most people away.

#1. Microsoft does not list issues on its index (Microsoft.com). Eiter does Apple.
#2. Microsoft would logically recognize a larger volume of security exploits because it is used and attacked on a MUCH broader scale - the Windows user base is millions of times larger than OS X user base. It only makes sense.
#3. Statistically, if you honestly and accurately compare the number of OS X vunerablities to the number of Windows XP vunerablities rationalizing the user base of both platforms: Number of users daily (NUD) to Stabilitiy/Security Issues and Exploits (SSIE) - NUD:SSIE stastics are almost completely equal. So in all fairness, Apple really isn't doing any better than Microsoft.
#4. Upon Apple's recoginition of a security vunerablity, they will decide wether or not to announce the issue. Depending on the severity of the issue Apple may choose not to announce it at all, and only include a fix in an upcoming update. Apple will specifically direct it's techs not to discuss it with consumers who are experiencing problems that are potentially related to the issue.
#5. Even has an Apple T2 Tech I have more issues with my .3.9 machine (Dual 2.5GHz G5) than I do with my overclocked (reduced stability) Windows XP machine.
#6. I work out of LA as a on-site constultant for film/video productions, and whether or not Apple wants to admit it, they are loosing a very significant portion of their industry professional user base due to stability issues. Several prominent film editors/directors have recently decided to switch to AMD64 Windows/Avid combos to post their projects because they feel it to be considerably faster and more seamless.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2005-04-18-amd-usat_x.htm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
#3. Statistically, if you honestly and accurately compare the number of OS X vunerablities to the number of Windows XP vunerablities rationalizing the user base of both platforms: Number of users daily (NUD) to Stabilitiy/Security Issues and Exploits (SSIE) - NUD:SSIE stastics are almost completely equal. So in all fairness, Apple really isn't doing any better than Microsoft.

I think it's confusing to take security issues & exploits as one category:

Sure OS X has issues, in the sense that there are holes in the system that need to be fixed. But there haven't been any EXPLOITS that have taken advantage of those holes.

#4. Upon Apple's recoginition of a security vunerablity, they will decide wether or not to announce the issue. Depending on the severity of the issue Apple may choose not to announce it at all, and only include a fix in an upcoming update. Apple will specifically direct it's techs not to discuss it with consumers who are experiencing problems that are potentially related to the issue.

I'm assuming the same would apply to Microsoft, if they find the issue first.

#5. Even has an Apple T2 Tech I have more issues with my .3.9 machine (Dual 2.5GHz G5) than I do with my overclocked (reduced stability) Windows XP machine.

That might be the case, but it certainly doesn't reflect the average users experience...
What sorts of issues do you have? Maybe we could help you out...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.