Restore after bad Windows install via Boot Camp

Reaction score
Ok guys, first time posting anything on any mac forum ever. so here it goes.

I want to install XP with Boot Camp but I got an error message about how it can't move some files or something. I did my reading, and realized I need to back up and restore.

Backup is a breeze, no problem there.

Restore is where I got a little confused. I don't have the original Leopard Install disk which I'm pretty sure I need to restore.

BUT I what i need to know is if i could potentially just download a Leopard Install disk in the form of a .dmg file and burn it to a DVD and use that to restore?

If that can be done, How do I got about doing that. I don't wanna screw anything up but this seems possible? help?

Reaction score
You need an install disk for your specific computer. Downloading Leopard is illegal and won't be supported on this forum. And, besides, the install disks differ somewhat based on each model of Mac - so if you had a Mac Pro, for example, and used someone else's install disk for a white Macbook, you would have issues.

Your best bet is to order a new one from Apple. Sorry for the bad news.

More bad news: On your original problem, a "files could not be moved" error usually signifies either (1) you are not using a correct version of Windows, or (2) your Mac HD needs to be defragmented. I would recommend that once you get your Mac up and running, you run verify/repair permissions and HD (for the latter you'll also need the install disk), and possibly get a program like iDefrag to defragment your drive.

Then be sure you have a correct version of Windows (single disk installation of XP SP2 or later, Vista or Win7) - you have to use either a full retail version or a "System Builder OEM" version of Windows - upgrade discs, branded OEM discs (e.g., from Dell or HP or wherever) don't work, and many volume-licensed versions (e.g., from your workplace or school) won't work either.

I also recommend that you read the two stickies at the top of this forum - they answer most questions, and also print out and follow the Boot Camp installation guide before any Boot Camp install.

Good luck and post back here with questions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.