eMac blinking screen?

Reaction score
Hello, I have an eMac (1ghz, 756mb RAM) that suffers from a blinking screen. Is there any way to fix this?

A total system/settings restore?

Any help would be great, I love my old machine too much to trash it without a fight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The video display you describe suggests the notorious eMac capacitor problem. There's oodles of info about it on this and other Mac forums/sites.

Turn your eMac off completely, but do not disconnect the power cord. Tip the eMac on its screen face on a towel (or similar). Open the hatch on the underside, that'll give you access to the RAM slots. Look beyond those to the capacitors on the logic board that are visible (about 5 of them).

Do you see any bulging of the capacitor caps, or brown/yellow gunge seeping therefrom? If so, you have a major hardware issue to resolve. Post back once you've carried out the inspection, and we can then advise you further.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.