Upgraded Memory now computer wont turn on

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just upgraded my memory on my Macbook Pro, followed all the proper steps, seemed simple enough. Now my computer won't turn on.

Here are some specs:

Processor: 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory: 512 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Mac OSX Version 10.5.6

Installed 2:

Kingston 1GB PC2-5300

Any help, I really need to get this computer working again soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Most likely cause is improperly seated RAM. Sometimes you really have to push them in hard. Take them out, and reseat them. Make darn sure they're all the way in the slots. Being "gentle" won't get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5'' 3.2GHz i3 running 10.7.2
Like previous poster, reseat & retry.

Secondly, I'd install 1 stick at a time in each slot and test. If the OEM RAM worked with no problems then it's probably defective RAM (1 or both sticks).

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I was able to get it to boot up with just one of the 1GB upgrades plugged into the top slot, with nothing plugged into the bottom slot. Is the bottom one trickier to get in all the way?

Thanks again for the advice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the advice. I was able to get it to boot up with just one of the 1GB upgrades plugged into the top slot, with nothing plugged into the bottom slot. Is the bottom one trickier to get in all the way?

Thanks again for the advice.

Checking with MacTracker it appears the memory you purchased is correct for your model MBP. If the top slot module is allowing the machine to boot OK, then it's likely both modules are good. (max memory for your MBP is 2 GB)

The bottom slot may require a bit more pressure before the module snaps in place. Instead of using your thumbs to push the module in, try using something flat to apply pressure evenly on the module as you push it into the slot.

If that doesn't work use one of the old 256 MB modules in the bottom slot instead just to see if it will boot.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Took your advice, I was not gentle, I used a flat object to put more even pressure on the bottom 1GB chip and I got it to work! Computer is up and running with a full 2GB of active memory now and no longer moving snail speed.

Thanks for the help
S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.