Macbook Pro i7?

Reaction score
Is Apple planning to release a Macbook Pro with intel i7 processors and if so then when? Sorry if this question was already asked but I searched and couldn't find it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
that's because we all know as much as you know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Is Apple planning to release a Macbook Pro with intel i7 processors and if so then when?

They aren't planning to release an i7 MBP, until they release it, in which case you and I will both know.

At the same time. ;)

Reaction score
I7 in DELL

I'm new here. Never yet owned a Mac but wanting to purchase the MBP 17". However, shopping around Dell offers a monster of a machine for much less (specs below) featuring the new i7 chip. It would be great to know how long I'd have to put off a purchase on the MAC for the i7. It's odd really that a company that boasts its progressiveness is so far behind the curve. From reports I've seen the i7 smokes the older chips.

COLORS Black Chainlink edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor @ 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Works 9 edit
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 3Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis edit
In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis: for issues covered by Limited Hardware Warranty, technician and/or part will be dispatched, if necessary, usually in 1 or 2 business days following Remote Diagnosis. During Remote Diagnosis, you may be asked to access the inside of your system (where safe to do so) or to participate in troubleshooting until a cause can be isolated.
SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-Months edit
HD DISPLAY 17.3” Full HD (1080p) B+RG LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera edit
MEMORY 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz edit
HARD DRIVE 1TB (2 x 500GB) Dual SATA Hard Drive (7200rpm) edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD) edit
WIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-card edit
SOUND OPTIONS Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled edit
KEYBOARD Back-lit Keyboard edit
My Accessories
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year edit
My Software & Accessories
ADOBE & ENTERTAINMENT WildTangent Games edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
PROCESSOR Studio 17 Laptop
VIDEO CARD 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
BATTERY OPTIONS 85 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
MOBILE CONNECTIVITY No Internal Mobile Broadband
Adobe Reader Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0
ACCIDENT DAMAGE PROTECTION 1Yr LoJack for Laptops Theft Protection
REMOTE ACCESS Dell Remote Access, free basic service

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
So, processor speed is the only benchmark for progressive design? Interesting, I guess the featureless trackpads and plastic in dell's computers must be much better than aluminum too!

;)

Reaction score
So, processor speed is the only benchmark for progressive design? Interesting, I guess the featureless trackpads and plastic in dell's computers must be much better than aluminum too!

;)

Well, while the MAC is hands down better looking, I am looking to purchase a computer, not just pretty aluminum housing. So, yup, as a processor is a core element to a computer, so to speak, I'd say it is more important than just a pretty aluminum skin. Remember what they say, it's what's on the inside that counts ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
No one is arguing with you on the hardware. If you really need a i7 Quad core notebook this instant then by all means buy it.

Those are very nice specs, the downside is it doesn't run the Mac OS and never will.

As for me I think I'll wait a few months before buying anything.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Well, while the MAC is hands down better looking, I am looking to purchase a computer, not just pretty aluminum housing. So, yup, as a processor is a core element to a computer, so to speak, I'd say it is more important than just a pretty aluminum skin. Remember what they say, it's what's on the inside that counts ;)

Stupid question but... What exactly are you going to be using this "super" computer for ? The only real benefit I can see with that Dell is the Blue Ray drive. But even that isn't much of an issue unless you reeeeally enjoy watching BR movies on a screen who's maximum size is 17 inches and where the speakers are not so great, to say the least. And don't say you'd use it while hooked up to a larger screen and better speakers UNLESS you have absolutely no other home audio/video gear. And I can get a nice BR burner and put it in an E-SATA housing, so whatever.

That said, you are totally missing the point with all of your fancy specs. It still runs Windows. And that sir, IS the point. I'm 37. Former Windows user. Since version 2.1 (also had some Amiga's, a Commodore 64 and some other stuff which eludes me at the moment)

I stopped using Windows when Vista was being built up and was reportedly going to replace XP. Switched to various flavors of Linux and settled on Ubuntu. Stopped using Ubuntu in the Summer of 2008, which is when I bought my MacBook Pro. Started off disliking OS X for a good few months, cursing and acting like a cry baby, making my wife think twice about her decision to marry me... . Until I realized what was happening. I was trying to make OSX behave like a linux or Windows system.

When I stopped doing that, and actually learned how to use the interface and even some terminal stuff, I was actually working more that I ever was with either Linux or Windows. XP was fine, actually, but still a much bigger hassle at the end of the day.

If you're a gamer, then praise be to the Windows system. (thanks to greedily written contracts between Windows and hardware/software manf.) If not, then there's absolutely nothing I can't do, if not better with OS X. (with the exception of iTunes. It works the way I need it to now, but it was a battle and I hate it)

I work with Photoshop and Lightroom and I'm learning how to use Illustrator. I've used these on Windows, also and there's no difference except for minor tweaks in the GUI. And in those terms, they all seem a lot more streamlined in OS X.

And as far as the trackpad on the MacBook's go ? If you've never used one, I suggest you try. It's a true evolutionary step ahead which the Windows' fellas don't seem to get. I can't tell you how much it really speeds up your workflow.

And yes, I've tried Windows 7. It is an definite improvement, but it's nowhere near being as different from other iterations of Windows as people are made to believe. Whooptie doo.. some eye candy. Eye candy mind you, which is more flash than function. Not to mention the FACT that the ideas have been in use by Linux GUI's for more than a few years now.

Ok great, they took some code from XP, some from Vista and made it more stable. Wow, what a feat. Can you say "should have been" ? Day late, dollar short and still nothing that impresses me. It still looks and feels like Windows. I still think it's ugly. And I still think it needs the same anti virus, anti spyware and malware babysitting that it always has.

I've not seen one bit of this since 2005, which is when I strayed from XP, after having beta tested Vista.

So you can take your fancy pants specs which nary serve a real purpose, (again, unless you're a gamer and are using a desktop) and be happy with Windows. I was able to whip any spec'd out Vista machine in terms of stability and speed with my Linux system which had LESS specs, simply because my OS wasn't so ****ed resource hungry.

Specs don't impress. The OS which utilize what the specs are capable are, does.

Doug

Reaction score
Thanks Doug. It's those arguments that are pushing me from a lifetime of PC use towards the MAC. WHen I was in school I literally received one of the first pentium laptops directly from NEC, before even the media got their hands on one. I've used windows so long I am comfortable with navigating through its messy maze. But now with Windows 7 there is a bit more to learn and it simply is not as "pretty" as the MAC OS.

That said, the most resource hungry thing I do is converting video files from my video camera and its SD memory card. I've read on forums where MACBOOK users lament the Mac laptop takes a while to do this whereas the i7 chip burns through such tasks.

My purchasing decision would be made easier if (a) Apple "kept up with" Dell and others who have already released the i7 laptops or if (b) Apple would indicate when they'll make such a release.

Apple has a great OS but a four core chip not only levels the field, but makes the Apple absent such a chip an overpriced accessory by comparison, IMO. I want the Apple, just not with yesteryear's technology.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Unibody aluminum casings are not all Apple has to offer. As Crimson said, if you really need it right now, then buy it.

Also, how much cheaper is the Dell?

Reaction score
Also, how much cheaper is the Dell?

The Dell, with discounts, is $1549. The Mac is $2898 with same 3 year warranty like the Dell. If I put in the top of the line Duo processor for the Apple at 3.06 GHz it jumps to $3198. Then there's tax on both units and another $130 some odd dollars tax for the Apple. I'd pay more but for that much less? I tetrabite HD space, 1 GB video card, i7 processor, 1333 RAM, RGB LED 1080p 17.3" screen, Blue Ray, etc.

If only Apple would release info on if and when they'll be updating their products. I'd pay more for similar specs to buy the Mac, but I don't want to be foolish with my money either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Give me a core 2 with mac os x any day over a 20 core (when it comes around in the future) with windwos any day of the week!

I know 7 has improved a ton, but it's still windows and still very similar problems. But at the end of the day a windows machine really is not ALL that bad. From what it all sounds like...you've already made your choice. You really should go get the Dell. I'm sure you'll be happy with it, it's a great machine. Yes there are advantages to a mac, but then again there are for pc's too.

It seems that you won't be happy with a core 2 duo processor so go with the Dell. OR you can wait until the new i7 macbook pro's come along. Yes it's just a matter of time until that happens but who knows when. I literally could be tomorrow or a year from now.

Just a word here...

I have a 15 inch MBP with a 2.8 ghz core 2 and I do much heavier work and tasking then you do (from what you've told us)...and I've NEVER yet run into a serious hold up, problem, or big enough slow down for me to care. I truly...truly...truly believe that the biggest factor in performance isn't the speed or core of the cheap (of course that matters too but not as much), but the way the operating system uses it's resources. That being said...I'll take this core 2 with mac os x over a windows with an i7 any day.

Forget the pretty casing...I want the operating system! :)

P.S. It will be a very nice day though when the i7 MBP's arrive though ;) hehe

Reaction score
No, I've not made up my mind. I want the MAC, that's why I've not pulled the trigger on the Dell. Wonder if any folks from Apple review these threads and figure it would be wise to at least tease the Apple faithful rather than keeping so quiet. I suspect lots of PC people like myself are at a crossroads. Windows does have the leg up media wise now with the one two punch of Windows 7 and the i7. Coincidence? It will be interesting to see fourth quarter results for Dell and APPLE. I want the MAC. Will pay more for it. But I want Apples for Apples, not old Apples.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Makes sense!

I would say congrats on your choice...but then I would seem a bit bias no ;)

You know one thing I have to say about not only most computer users, but myself as well is that we typically tend to really over estimate what we really need sometimes. And by doing so we not only over pay, but we end up with something that really isn't as satisfying or for that matter not even being able to notice the difference. You have to do some pretty heavy stuff to really start stretching the potential of a 3.06 core 2 much less an i7.

I would be willing to bet that with some exceptions, you really won't notice much of a difference between the processors unless you were doing some pretty heavy stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
If you need the power now, why not snag the Dell, throw your favorite Linux distro on it and then use Virtual Box to emulate whatever OS you like? Just a thought. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
By the way, I'm just curious. Which Dell is it which lists these specs ? I can't find it even by way of customization.

Doug

Reaction score
If you need the power now, why not snag the Dell, throw your favorite Linux distro on it and then use Virtual Box to emulate whatever OS you like? Just a thought. :)

Way over my head. Can you really run the MAC OS on a PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Crimson said:
Linky

Ah ok.. but it's the "Studio 17", not 15, gotcha. And perhaps I'm off on this, so tell me if I am:

MacBook Pro has:
Communications
802.11n

* Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking2 (based on IEEE 802.11n specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
* Bluetooth Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)

Dell only has 802.11g and I don't see Bluetooth on their list.

And if we're nit-picking:
* MagSafe power port
* Gigabit Ethernet port (the dell has an Ethernet port of course, right?)
* One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
* Three USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
* Mini DisplayPort
* Audio line in
* Audio line out
* ExpressCard/34 slot
* Kensington lock slot
While the Dell likely has (hopefully) 4 USB slots.

What else:
# NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3
# NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory
# Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
# iSightBuilt-in iSight camera

Yeah, the Dell has a nice 1 gig video card. This would be uber important if and likely the ONLY reason to purchase an Windows system. That is, if you're a gamer or do heavy video rendering on your laptop. Otherwise, that big ol' 1 gig video card is just wasting space. While the Mac on the other hand, has two processors. One of which is dedicated to those heavy video intensive apps.

Does the Dell's monitor do dual display and video mirroring ? IDK. So really, aside from the obviously faster, newer processor, I don't see a whole lot of gimmies with the Dell. yeah, bigger HD ok, I'll give you that. But w/e.

IMO, the Mac offers a lot of little subtle features which make the overall experience more pleasant than any other laptop/desktop I've used, and no amount of specs on a Windows machine could ever entice me after having used my Mac's.

The point was also brought up that the true power of an i7 quad core processor is likely to be held back given the tasks being thrown at it. Power in reserve is great, but still means nothing on the whole considering the bigger picture.

And one more time: It's still running Windows, not OS X.

Final price for Dell:
Sub-total $2,133.00
CalculatorShipping & Handling $8.00
Shipping & Handling Discount -$8.00
CalculatorTax* $189.30
*Exemptions reflected in final checkout page only
View Details
Total Price1 $2,322.30

The Mac before Apple care and with student discount is $2700 after is $3000 But you can get the Apple care for less if you purchase it somewhere else. can even get it $100 cheaper. So let's say $2800 making it $500 more than the Dell.

I'd take the Mac any day of the week unless I was crazy about Windows, and then the choice would be glaringly obvious.

Personally speaking though, I find a 17" laptop to be way too big. I'd save the cash and go for a 15" instead, anyway.

Doug

Reaction score
Crimson said:
Linky

Ah ok.. but it's the "Studio 17", not 15, gotcha. And perhaps I'm off on this, so tell me if I am:

MacBook Pro has:

Dell only has 802.11g and I don't see Bluetooth on their list.

And if we're nit-picking:
While the Dell likely has (hopefully) 4 USB slots.

What else:

Yeah, the Dell has a nice 1 gig video card. This would be uber important if and likely the ONLY reason to purchase an Windows system. That is, if you're a gamer or do heavy video rendering on your laptop. Otherwise, that big ol' 1 gig video card is just wasting space. While the Mac on the other hand, has two processors. One of which is dedicated to those heavy video intensive apps.

Does the Dell's monitor do dual display and video mirroring ? IDK. So really, aside from the obviously faster, newer processor, I don't see a whole lot of gimmies with the Dell. yeah, bigger HD ok, I'll give you that. But w/e.

IMO, the Mac offers a lot of little subtle features which make the overall experience more pleasant than any other laptop/desktop I've used, and no amount of specs on a Windows machine could ever entice me after having used my Mac's.

The point was also brought up that the true power of an i7 quad core processor is likely to be held back given the tasks being thrown at it. Power in reserve is great, but still means nothing on the whole considering the bigger picture.

And one more time: It's still running Windows, not OS X.

Final price for Dell:

The Mac before Apple care and with student discount is $2700 after is $3000 But you can get the Apple care for less if you purchase it somewhere else. can even get it $100 cheaper. So let's say $2800 making it $500 more than the Dell.

I'd take the Mac any day of the week unless I was crazy about Windows, and then the choice would be glaringly obvious.

Personally speaking though, I find a 17" laptop to be way too big. I'd save the cash and go for a 15" instead, anyway.

Doug

Sorry, Doug, I wish it was as simple as you put it but lets keep it objective. MAC lacks Blu Ray, SD card readers, lacks four core processor, has smaller screen that is of no better display quality over the 1080 RGB screen, no 1333 MHz memory, etc.

System starts at $1249 pre discounts and modifications.

The Dell I've configured is $1749. On the phone with an actual sales person they applied discounts (EPP?) and got it down to about $1550 for the system outlined below.

I really want the MAC but also appreciate a truly objective discussion. Drop in a four core, even for $1k more and I'll take the MAC.

Some things the Dell has:
2 MP web cam
JBL speaker systems and sub woofer: reviewers rave about.
Blue tooth 2.1
(4) USB 2.0 compliant 4-pin ports
HDMI connector
15-pin VGA video connector
Integrated network connector 10/100/1000 LAN (RJ45)
AC adapter connector
Audio jacks (1 line-in, 1-line out, 1 Mic-in)
4-pin IEEE 1394 port
54 mm ExpressCard slot
Consumer IR

8-in-1 Media Card Reader
Secure Digital (SD) Memory Card
Multi Media Card (MMC)
xD Picture Card (xD)
Hi-Density Secure Digital (SDHD)
Hi-Capacity Secure Digital (SDHC)
Memory Stick (MS)
Memory Stick PRO (MS PRO)
Secure Digital Input/Output (SDIO)

Internal Card Slots
3 Mini-Card
Software & Services
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor @ 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
Microsoft® Works 9
3Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-Months
17.3” Full HD (1080p) B+RG LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
1TB (2 x 500GB) Dual SATA Hard Drive (7200rpm)
Slot Load Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
Dell Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-card
Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled
Back-lit Keyboard
Black Chainlink

My Accessories
Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
My Software & Accessories
WildTangent Games
Also Includes
Studio 17 Laptop

1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
85 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0

1Yr LoJack for Laptops Theft Protection
Dell Remote Access, free basic service

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.