Why should I install quicksilver?

Reaction score
I have read good stuff about Quicksilver.

I've read that everyone uses it.

Is it all it's cracked up to be?

Note: I am not a power user.

It seems that there is keyboard input involved so that much I wouldnt like (maybe that is because of the one-button mouse?).

I like to do everything with the mouse if I can. I hate using "hotkeys" 'cause I can never remember them.

Keep in mind, I have a two-button mouse so if that eliminates the keyboard strokes it might work.

I know I can uninstall (trash) it if I dont like quicksilver but remember that I am coming from the old "Windows world" so installing and uninstalling programs has always been quite an ordeal with the registry being messed with and such...The trauma will be etched in my mind for quite a while I'm sure. I need to get over it I know.

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not everyone uses it. I don't.

I like a mouse. Don't like hotkeys. Have enough stuff in this old brain without having to remember a bunch more stuff.

I tried it. It was a whole lot more work than I was interested in putting forth.

However, a whole mess of people do like it.

I might install and uninstall around 200 apps a year. You know what that would do to a Win machine. No problems to speak of in OS X. Install and uninstall as you like. Try out everything you run across. Only word of advice, those apps that have their own installer pkg, use their uninstaller when you remove them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I use it, but if you don't like hotkeys, then meh, I'm not sure it's for you. The main benefit, especially for laptops, is you avoid having to use the trackpad to click open windows. Instead, you hit control space (or whatever you set the invoking key to be), type the name of whatever app/file/folder/whatever, hit tab, type what action you want to do (open, move, email to, etc) hit tab, and do that as many times as you need, and then go... sounds like you don't really like the idea of using it, so maybe you don't need to?

OP
D
Reaction score
cool! Thanks guys!

I will just stick with the dock. It is plain and simple.

I can see how quicksilver would be useful with a notebook so you dont have to use the pad.

Yea, Installing/Unistalling 200 apps on a windows based machine would also require about 4 reinstalls of the OS :Grimmace:

cya

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

I like a mouse. Don't like hotkeys. Have enough stuff in this old brain without having to remember a bunch more stuff.

I tried it. It was a whole lot more work than I was interested in putting forth.

I might install and uninstall around 200 apps a year. You know what that would do to a Win machine. No problems to speak of in OS X. Install and uninstall as you like. Try out everything you run across. Only word of advice, those apps that have their own installer pkg, use their uninstaller when you remove them.

I'm with you, bobtomay - tried Quicksilver, and it seemed to be mostly redundant. For me, I can launch anything by just hitting Command+Space and start typing and hit Return. It's that simple. Of course, on Windows, I'm big on Windows+R, start typing something and hitting Enter. So, it was a natural extension of that habit, albeit with a slightly different spin.

What I'm not a fan of is installing applications that suck up resources and essentially duplicating existing functionality.

Reaction score

Or get the program "cleanapp" it keeps tabs of when you dl a program and everything it dl,when you decide to delete that program,CleanApp deletes everything...Its amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm a power user and like using my keyboard for many tasks as it can be faster and less prone to mistakes compared to using a mouse. Hence why Quicksilver is a great tool for myself. However, I know lots of people prefer using the mouse and don't care for keyboard shortcuts and thus the program would be useless to them.

Give it a try and see if you end up using it for more than just launching programs. If so, then keep it. If not, then delete it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.