Applecare after a couple years?

Reaction score
I did a search but I'm terrible at locating threads generally.

So in the UK you get 36 months free warranty as opposed to the normal year with HI discount. Applecare is £46. I was thinking of not getting applecare since I don't think I'll use phone support and have no idea if I will take my macbook abroad which seems the only things it is good for? I've never taken a laptop abroad before but after Uni (I'm in 3rd year) who knows.
My question is.. can you get discounted applecare at any point while being a student? And could I get my brother to get it for me after I finish Uni? (He is in third year and won't ever want a mac himself I don't think).

So I could effectively just get the free warranty and then when that is nearly run out pay £46 for 3 years applecare? Getting 6 years for under £50, or does applecare not work like that?
Sorry if I explained badly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple care must be purchased within the first year of ownership. After that it's too late. And yes, you can purchase Apple care discounted at places like eBay. I do not know about student discounts in the UK, but here in the US students do get a discount on Apple products and Apple care purchased at certain university bookstores.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I did a search but I'm terrible at locating threads generally.

No need to search for threads, the answer is right on Apple's site:
Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime?

You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the one-year limited warranty period. Your eligibility for coverage under the AppleCare Protection Plan starts from your hardware purchase date. Apple strongly recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan when you purchase your Apple product to maximize the additional benefits provided under the plan.

Apple - Support - AppleCare - FAQs

OP
M
Reaction score
No need to search for threads, the answer is right on Apple's site:

Apple - Support - AppleCare - FAQs

"You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the one-year limited warranty period." Thanks, however it speaks as if it's assuming that I am under a 1 year plan when I'll be under a 3 year plan.. It doesn't explain if it's the ONE year which is important or the fact it's under warranty. Thanks though.

I also dont get it's thing about mazimising coverage.. does it mean that if you buy applecare after a year you don't get the full 3 years any more.

thanks

Not to be a traitor to these forums but here someone replied saying
Applecare for macbook ater a couple years - Mac Forums

so do you agree that it's pointless for me to get it? :)
you've been helpful :]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
"You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the one-year limited warranty period." Thanks, however it speaks as if it's assuming that I am under a 1 year plan when I'll be under a 3 year plan.
All it says is that if you want to purchase the APP, you need to do so within that one-year limited warranty period that comes with every computer.
If you do make the purchase, then whatever time you have left on you one-year limited warranty becomes the APP.

If you would like forum members' opinions, all you need to do is perform a Forum Search for AppleCare and you will find plenty of helpful and informative threads as this topic has been covered quite thoroughly over the years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Your apple product comes with one year manufacture warranty
Apple care extends that warranty to 3 years from the purchase date. (Not 3 additional years from when you buy apple care.)
You have one year (from purchase date) to buy apple care. After the one, you can not buy apple care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if the twelve months have expired that is that. You cannot access Applecare period. It may be the reseller structured Applecare into the purchase price and you should have received documentation . You can check the serial number of your machine and see if Apple have it registered for Applecare.

Check this out on this link:-

http://www.welovemacs.com/applecare.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.