Mounting Windows Shares

P

protekcs

Hello, I am trying to mount Windows XP shares on my Mac, running Mac OS X 10.3.9. There is one share for each computer in the workgroup, each called Share. When the share is mounted in the Mac it is called Share. Problem is there is 3 folders all called Share. How do I rename these so that they are different from each other, without changing the configuration on the PCs?

Thank you for your assistance!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Go to ->System Prefs. -> Share, then change the "Computer Name" field on each computer.

Edit: Oopsy, I didn't read your question good. My bad. I don't even remember how to do that on Winderz anymore. :dummy: I think you'll need to change your Windows configuration for that one.

OP
T

taxxman2k

just change the share name on the winders box. Go to it in winders exploder, right click and click sharing, you can change the share name here. :dive:

OOPS I didn't read. You don't want to change on the PC. Kinda silly though to have the folders all named the same on the network.

OP
P

protekcs

Right, I don't want to change the Windows machines at all. The reason why there are several of the same shares named the same is because they show up as being "Share on PC1", "Share on PC2" in Windows. Anyone else have any ideas how to change the share name on the MAC?

OP
T

taxxman2k

protekcs said:
Right, I don't want to change the Windows machines at all. The reason why there are several of the same shares named the same is because they show up as being "Share on PC1", "Share on PC2" in Windows. Anyone else have any ideas how to change the share name on the MAC?

True. And if you change them you have to change all the mounts. I am sure there is something you can do to make it easier to understand ont he mac. Worste cas you could move them around int he finder window so they are in some sort of order until you figure out a better way. But if your only talking about a few windows machines, it would probably just be easier to change the shares to the same name as the computer for easier understanding. And be done with it.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.