Wiping Old Mac

Reaction score
I'm selling my old G5 iMac and need to wipe the drive. I'd like to avoid having to install everything again since I'll have to install the OS, then iWork, then iLife, then updates. I'm considering making a second admin account for the new user then deleting the current account and all of it's directories. Is there a way to securely wipe the disk of everything from the old account without having to start from scratch installing the OS? I'm not too worried about the old stuff since I'm sellling to a friend but I'd still be more comfortable if I could wipe out the stuff.

THanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
For it to be secure you really need to do a clean install, even if it is a pain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If that is your plan then you can erase free space using Disk Utility once you have deleted the old admin account

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
...I'll have to install the OS, then iWork, then iLife, then updates.

Frankly, why? Unless you're selling it to a friend or relative that you feel the need to help out, you don't owe the buyer anything except a basic install of the original factory OS, plus the original discs of whatever you plan to include. The buyer can do his or her own updates and installations, just as you had to do when you got it from Apple.

I believe Apple charges $100 for "One to one" service to do that kind of thing for its customers.

(A smart buyer would immediately erase and install upon getting a used Mac, anyway, for his/her own security.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do as technologist suggests. Pop in original system CD, erase, zeroing if it makes you more comfortable, and supply the buyer with those original discs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.