Small Business, E-Commerce on Snow Leopard Server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Version 10.6.2, 2.5 GHz, 2 GB MHz DDR2
Hello Everyone,

I am currently designing an e-commerce website using Adobe CS4 for my mother.

If I purchase a Mac Mini w/ Snow Leopard pre-installed, what is the best isp for this situation?

Do I need to have a separate ISP for this situation or can I just use my mothers DSL?

How does their Apache server work?

How will php and mysql work?

I currently have other shared websites hosted by Bluehost.com, since Mac Servers already provide SSL certificates for e-commerce would I need to purchase a dedicated ip address?

I would be extremely grateful for any other information I can have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I am currently designing an e-commerce website using Adobe CS4 for my mother.
Adobe CS4 is an entire suite of software.
Which applications from CS4 are you using?

If I purchase a Mac Mini w/ Snow Leopard pre-installed, what is the best isp for this situation?
Do I need to have a separate ISP for this situation or can I just use my mothers DSL?
The ISP doesn't matter one bit.
If you're looking for site hosting, there are a number of possibilities.
How does their Apache server work?
Whose Apache server?
I currently have other shared websites hosted by Bluehost.com, since Mac Servers already provide SSL certificates for e-commerce would I need to purchase a dedicated ip address?
That's entirely up to you and whichever hosting company you choose.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm actually using the whole suite to create the website, photoshop to edit images, illustrator to create logos, and i transfer it all into dream weaver at the end and load em up.

If I remember correctly it is Apple's apache webserver, I'm not sure. Its obvious I'm a newb at this, lol, thanks for you help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Home DSL and Cable service should not be used to run commercial businesses, the ISP's frown on it..running a low key website is one thing, but a spike of traffic will cause your access to go down quickly.

Secondly, if you wish to host the website on the Mac, you will need to install Apache/PHP and MySQL on it..

To support SSL, you will need a static IP address which most ISP no longer give out unless you go with the business package. Depending on the scale of the ecommerce site, you're probably better of getting it hosted on something like bluehost.com (or any other webhost) but go with their ecommerce package so that you can make use of the shopping carts and SSL.

Regards

If I remember correctly it is Apple's apache webserver, I'm not sure. Its obvious I'm a newb at this, lol, thanks for you help.

Apache is an open source webserver that runs on all OS', not just Mac..

Regards

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I currently have Mamp installed on my computer. Will that work on the mac server?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, MAMP is the combination of Apache, MySQL and PHP for Mac..

Regards

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Secondly, if you wish to host the website on the Mac, you will need to install Apache/PHP and MySQL on it..

To support SSL, you will need a static IP address which most ISP no longer give out unless you go with the business package. Depending on the scale of the ecommerce site, you're probably better of getting it hosted on something like bluehost.com (or any other webhost) but go with their ecommerce package so that you can make use of the shopping carts and SSL.

Now, I'm really confused. Apple advertises their server having 1 default ssl certificate.

With the shopping carts, I intend on using separate 3rd-party programs, quickbooks, and paypal, etc instead of the onces blue host provides.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The SSL certificate has to be tied to a static IP address which you will need to procure from your ISP, and as I suggested, they won't hand those out for residential customers, only business customers. And if you're going to fork money over for the business package, might as well avoid all that cost including the Mac Mini and get the entire thing hosted externally..

Regards

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I finally get it now, thanks for all your help Raz0rEdge :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.