Add applescript to command + v to clear clipboard

Reaction score
After upgrading our office to 10.6.2 we're experiencing big issues with copying and pasting.

Issue: when copying from any Office application into our email application (FirstClass), the system gets incredibly slow. Pasting from Office to any other application is fine. It's a known issue, no known fix.

The work around is to clear the clipboard... or to copy something else, very small, into the clipboard. Once that's done the system is back to normal.

That explanation was necessary as otherwise my following request on how to do something would surely be followed by a lot of "why would you ever want to do that?".

I would very much like to temporarily override the default behaviour of Paste. Even if this is the shortcut to Paste... ie, assigning a different script to command-v.

I would basically like the clipboard to be cleared after each paste automagically.

My issue... well besides the original issues which have lead to this... are that I'm unsure how to do either the script, or assign it to a shortcut key.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
First - have u tried downloading this and installing, that might help, then go into System Preferences/Keyboard to set shortcuts. Mine is on 10.6.2 after the combo update and no issues with clipboard.

OP
X
Reaction score
First - have u tried downloading this and installing, that might help, then go into System Preferences/Keyboard to set shortcuts. Mine is on 10.6.2 after the combo update and no issues with clipboard.

Thanks for the reply.

Indeed, the system is definitely all up to date with 10.6.2. Though thanks for the link.

Also thanks for pointing out where to set shortcuts. A bit confused as how to override the command-v though with a script... but I'll read up on it.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
You could try setting up an app short cut for Office - try the selection in black, not sure how it plays with Office and then there is a bunch of settings in Services which might solve your issue but could be trial and error.

Click for full size

NB There are times where Combo update fixes things - yes you have 10.6.2 but run the 10.6.2 Combo across the top - it can make a difference.

If all that fails u might have to go to iWork

OP
X
Reaction score
temporary fix

Sorry, I had actually installed the 10.6.2 combo. both before and after installing office and our email client.

Anyway, I've come up with a temporary fix. I was unable to figure out the menu or shortcut keys as far as appending a 'clear clipboard' function to the end of the base Paste.

So I created a very small app named ClearClipboard which simply contains the following: set the clipboard to ""

I've then stuck that app in the Dock on each computer in the office with instructions to click it once the problem occurs. Not idea, but until updates are released that fix the issue it'll have to do.

Cheers,

Gerry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.