New Macbook pro with old charger

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the new mac book pro charger is the same as the old mac book charger? I wanted use the old charger at home and have it charge overnight then have the new charger for the day- will this process ruin my battery or does it not matter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I've had my MBP since mid-September, and I've primarily used my old MB charger with no ill effects. You should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5'' 3.2GHz i3 running 10.7.2
If it's the 13'' MBP then no because it's a 60W adapter. The new 15'' or 17'' adapter will work fine because there both 85W. 85W is needed for the older/new 15'' or 17'' MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I've been charging my 2008 mbp off a 60w adapter for over a year.. with no issues. It's a matter of convenience.. it's out in the living room. That being said, if you're using enough power, you could actually run off battery power mostly.. and never charge it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
The new 13" MBP charger is the same as the old White MB charger (60 watt). All the older MBPs used 85 watt chargers.

That being said, they are basically compatible. Just keep an eye on the charger at first to make sure it isn't getting too hot.

For what it's worth, the MB Air uses a 40 watt charger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.