• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Panasonic HD Camcorder and Software

Reaction score
Wonder if any one can help?

We wish to purchase a camcorder for our sons Make A Wish trip but I am unsure if this will be compatiable with my imac. The software it comes with is just PC format.

Is there another way/software etc that I can use to create DVD's from the camcorder direct? The camcorder uses an SDHC/SD Memory Card as recording media.

Please help:D

Thank you in advance.

L

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Does the camcorder record in AVCHD? What model Panasonic camcorder are you looking at? What kind of Mac do you have (intel, PPC)? What version OSX do you have? Do you have iMovie and iDVD installed? Do you have Final Cut Express? More info is needed about your current hardware/software situation to help you adequately :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Does the camcorder record in AVCHD? What model Panasonic camcorder are you looking at? What kind of Mac do you have (intel, PPC)? What version OSX do you have? Do you have iMovie and iDVD installed? Do you have Final Cut Express? More info is needed about your current hardware/software situation to help you adequately :)

Thank you Nethfel, below are the details.

OSX Version -10.5.8

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Panasonic Camcorder - HDC-SD10

iMovie '09 - YES
iDVD - YES
Final Cut - NO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Ok,

Good news is - you don't need any additional software :) Better news is, that camera is on Apples site for supported cameras (in both PAL and NTSC, don't know where you're located, but either format you're covered)

See: iMovie ?09: Camcorder Support

It does make a mention a couple caveats (although at least one of the issues applies to many camcorders that use CMOS sensors with rolling shutters - if you scroll down on the Apple page linked above, you can find your camcorder and any notes Apple mentions)

With that camcorder, what you'd do is in iMovie you'd import the footage - you can either connect the camcorder to the comp via USB, or take the SDHC card out and put it into a card reader. Do not attempt to manually extract the video files from the AVCHD format and use them - use Apples import feature. If you need to learn more about it - launch iMovie click on help and search for AVCHD, one of the first links will talk about how to handle mass storage based recording devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.