• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Gigabit Ethernet?

Reaction score
You know when you go to apple's online store and you click on your dream machine (powerbook, G5, etc.) and you supe it up, just to see how ridiculously amazing you can make it? (I think everyone does this) Anyway, I did this with the top of the line G5 and noticed that you can get a card for Gigabit Ethernet!

Now you can shoot me if you'd like (no not really) cause I thought Gigabit Ethernet was just a prototype, an unfinished, underdeveloped, under-advertised, piece of gold that would eventually blow me into seizures upon surfing the internet that was decades from being unleashed.
:tusks:

Ok, so here's my question:

What's the protocol for this god-fast internet that'll give us all unhealthy doses of radiation?
:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
It's for networking not internet access.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
There's a little misunderstanding here...
It's Gigabit Ethernet...not Internet.
It's the maximum speed of the network card. Actual standards are 10/100Mbit, PowerMacs since the G4 Gigabit Ethernet (hence the name) have 10/100/1000Mbit Ethernet controllers. 1000Mbit=1Gbit.

But that still doesn't mean your Internet connection would be that fast. Even an old 10Mbit card is still faster than broadband Internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
PowerBooks have Gigabit ethernet in them

These require Cat6 networking cables (You rarely see above Cat5) and either a Gigabit internet connection (which doesn't exist) or a Gigabit router connected to another computer with a gigabit ethernet card and cable for you to get any advantage of it

E

EvoMac

THe company that I use to work for added a whole wing to their building and did the main public in cat5, but the server room was built in that wing and redone to almost all cat6 - gigabit ethernet. Server communication was so fast. I couldn't even imagine what the cost would have been to switch over to gb cat 6 backbone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
CAT6 is stil quite "reasonnably" priced. Our company backbone has fiberoptic cables (10Gbit/s!!) which must have cost a little fortune...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.