SCSI drive not detected

B

bleujaegel

I have a PowerMac G3 with an Adaptec 2940U2B SCSI card and an IBM 9GB drive. The devices work, because I installed Windows XP on them on a PC. However, when moving them to the G3, I get to where I select the volume for installation, and it only shows the DVD greyed out. I am trying to install OS 10.1. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
bleujaegel said:
I have a PowerMac G3 with an Adaptec 2940U2B SCSI card and an IBM 9GB drive. The devices work, because I installed Windows XP on them on a PC. However, when moving them to the G3, I get to where I select the volume for installation, and it only shows the DVD greyed out. I am trying to install OS 10.1. Any ideas?

Here is just a guess, but you will probably have to re-format the drive by booting from the install disk... open applications/utilities/disk utility. if the drive is recognized it should give you the option to reformat the drive in HFS or HFS+. once the drive is formated in a mac-friendly file system it should install os x easily. (I think).

good luck

OP
B

bleujaegel

No options available. It seems as though it doesn't recognize the drive, however, this is supposedly a 'Mac' compatible SCSI card. Go figure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
bleujaegel said:
No options available. It seems as though it doesn't recognize the drive, however, this is supposedly a 'Mac' compatible SCSI card. Go figure.
If it isn't the formatting I'd have to say that the last thing to check is the termination for the scsi chain and the jumper settings for the drive. This I can't really help you with, but the support web page or manual for the drive should help. There are also lots of how-tos about scsi on the web.

If the chain is terminated and the scsi drive number is OK then maybe it is just a bad drive or a corrupt driver.

Does the drive work in OS 9? or only in windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac bondie blue 233mhz 320mb ram 2 meg vram 4gig HD and a Beige G3 A/V 266 OCed to 300mhz 64mb ram
search for a darwin port for the scsi controler you are trying to use if no darwin do a search for bsd prots of the same vareity

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.