transferring non-purchased music

Reaction score
I know there are paid programs but what's the logic behind not allowing me to transfer non-purchased music from my iPod Touch to another of my PCs with iTunes?

Reaction score
I know there are paid programs but what's the logic behind not allowing me to transfer non-purchased music from my iPod Touch to another of my PCs with iTunes?

well if you found the music for free you can probably find the program to allow you to transfer from the ipod. ;D If it's jailbroken it's all at your disposal.

OP
S
Reaction score
well if you found the music for free you can probably find the program to allow you to transfer from the ipod. ;D If it's jailbroken it's all at your disposal.

I didn't "find the music for free." I ripped the songs from CDs I own. I can't find any free, much less reputable software to transfer. Anyway, I can pop it on my jump stick and copy it.

Is there a jailbreak for 3.1 OS?

Just curious why Apple doesn't allow this unless it's a copyright issue to slow pirating.

Reaction score
sqwerl said:
I didn't "find the music for free." I ripped the songs from CDs I own. I can't find any free, much less reputable software to transfer. Anyway, I can pop it on my jump stick and copy it.

Is there a jailbreak for 3.1 OS?

Just curious why Apple doesn't allow this unless it's a copyright issue to slow pirating.

I am pretty sure what your answer is going to be, but I am going to ask anyway. If you have the CDs why not just transfer them to the itunes on the other machine? I think your jumpdrive method is going to be the easiest way.

I am running Iphone OS 3.1.2 and I have my phone jailbroken.

OP
S
Reaction score

I am pretty sure what your answer is going to be, but I am going to ask anyway. If you have the CDs why not just transfer them to the itunes on the other machine? I think your jumpdrive method is going to be the easiest way.

I am running Iphone OS 3.1.2 and I have my phone jailbroken.

Yep, I knew that was going to be the easiest way to use a jump drive. I just wondered why it isn't an integrated feature in iTunes. I know there's a reason Apple didn't give the iphone/touch disk access like the wheel ipods. Maybe it's to prevent hacking into the device. Just throwing some stuff out there...

Anyway, I jailbroke so what's the easiest way for music? Connect to my wireless network and use SSH or another program?

[offtopic]
I got Cydia installed with blackra1n but there are so many ads now. When I first got the touch and broke it, there were hardly any! Now they're all over the place. lol I guess that's what happens when advertisers see an open market full of free apps.

How can I install Installer on 3.1.2?
[/offtopic]

Reaction score
Yup I would just SSH the iPhone. You can move many things back and forth not just music.

Apple blocks you from taking music from an iPod to itunes for "copyright" and proprietary reasons. If you could share music like that then you would be able to take music from your ipod and give it to a friend and vice-versa. This would seriously cut into profits from the itunes store.

Installer should be available through Cydia. Just do a search for it. It might be under Appulous, or something like that. I don't remember where I saw it

Reaction score
I don't have anything on my iphone that I need to transfer so I don't SSH. I am not sure about the validity of this claim, but I found this website and I thought since you will be using the Open SSH feature you might want to take a look.

Be careful with Open SSH

OP
S
Reaction score
I think that's a valid link. After I installed SSH it prompted me to change the default password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.