VLC Minor Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
Good evening chappies,

while searching the threads on here this afternoon I found a link to VLC and I was indeed well impressed by its performance. However, I have come across a .wmv file which it doesn't play. Or better, it plays the sound, but not the video. The error message that VLC throws up reads:

main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

Now, it isn't absolutely VITAL that I see this file, but I was wondering what that means and whether the issue can be corrected or is in fact one of VLC's bugs. Have you seen this before? Is it a recurrent issue? Cheers!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'm not sure about a fix for it, but have you tried Mplayer yet. I usually have an army of video players, because sometimes video players become video picky on mac os x about they'll play and what they won't.

http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/

OP
Stephanella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
Thanks iWhat, I also downloaded that one now. In this case I can, again, play the file but still don't manage to see anything, I can only hear what is going on. Go figure...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New 13" Macbook Pro 2.5 ghz, 4gb ddr3, 500gb hd | 16gb Nano
I had this problem with some new CBT video's. They would only play audio in mplayer and VLC.

Check and make sure you have the most up to date version of Windows Media Player.

I know this is kind of obvious but I didnt realize there was a new version till a few month's ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
Flip4Mac will allow you to view WMV in Quicktime so theres no need for WMP on Mac :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.