Airport Express setup suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5", iPhone 4
I have a new iMac connected wirelessly to Netgear (Sky) Router.

My itunes library is stored on a Buffallo Linkstation also connected to the router (but with an ethernet cable).

I want to figure out the best way to stream audio into my dining room and potentially my living room too at a later date.

I was thinking of buying an Airport Express and hooking it up to some cheap but half decent Logitech speakers (maybe 2.0 or 2.1) with the amplifier built in. Then use my iPhone with Remote installed to control iTunes on iMac upstairs (over WiFi).

How does this sound to everyone? Does anyone have any better solutions?

Reaction score
The set up you've outlined works exceptionally well. The great thing about it is that you can have your iTunes send to multiple Airport Express units at the same time giving you the exact same music playing in multiple rooms.

I have a very similar set up and will often stream to 4 airport express units to fill the whole house with music.

One additional thing that I've done is to use an Apple TV rather than stream from the computer. The iPhone Remote app will control the Apple TV as well. The reason I like this set up is because the computer doesn't have to be on and iTunes doesn't have to be running in order to stream from the apple TV.

Enjoy!

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5", iPhone 4
Thanks Wilburmac. As you may have realised I'm a mac noob... so is the airport express unit compatible with my 802.11g netgear router?

Another question I have is, as stated earlier, my iTunes library is stored on a NAS drive attached to my router and acessed from the imac over wireless. I think that as a result of this the moving between tracks is quite slow and unresponsive. Is this to do with the connection speed of the wireless? Should I be purchasing an 802.11n router?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.