"Getting my feet wet" or "Do I need a proper Mac to develop iPhone Apps"

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I hope this is in the right forum - I didn't see much dev-related stuff in the iPhone section. I apologize if I've misplaced this.

I've been toying with the idea of developing iPhone apps recently - got some ideas that should be fun and it has the potential to be a little gold mine if I do my work properly.
My dilemma is this: I'm currently running an OSX virtual machine on my PC, just to get my feet wet with the osx platform, learn the dev tools, all that.
I know the legality of that setup is questionable to begin with, but please humor me. My real question is this: Do I need a proper Mac to compile my app on before I submit it to Apple, or can I get away with using a VM for now, (with a proper iPhone developers license, of course) and - hopefully - buy a mac with the proceeds of said app?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice :)

_b34r

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't see how Apple could tell the difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Well, if Apple ever found out that you've been violating the OS X EULA, it would most likely cancel its developer program agreement with you and drop any apps from its store.

More importantly, discussion of licensing violations is prohibited here.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Legality aside, there's nothing differentiating the apps you create using your VM version of OS X as opposed to one installed on proper Apple Mac hardware, so Apple isn't going to be able to figure out what your development hardware was..

However, being in the same boat as you, might I suggest that you take a look at the Mac Mini, a very affordable way of going legit and getting a Mac environment without breaking the bank..and once the money starts rolling in from your App, you can consider upgrading to a more powerful Mac should you desire it..

Regards

OP
B
Reaction score
More importantly, discussion of licensing violations is prohibited here.

I was afraid I'd be venturing into unwelcome topics with my question. I apologize, and I'll not ask another in this vein :)
Thank you for the words of warning about Apple's probably repercussions, as well.

Raz0r, thank you for the advice. I may, indeed, go with a mini for the time being.
Who knows, maybe I can even convince the wife that I've been good enough this year :D

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I was afraid I'd be venturing into unwelcome topics with my question. I apologize, and I'll not ask another in this vein :)
Thank you for the words of warning about Apple's probably repercussions, as well.

Raz0r, thank you for the advice. I may, indeed, go with a mini for the time being.
Who knows, maybe I can even convince the wife that I've been good enough this year :D

With the newest generation of Mini's out now, you can pickup the previous generation's 1.83 Ghz (the one I have) for around $400..so not bad at all..

Trying to convince my wife that I need to upgrade to the iMac Quad-core is seeming to be a tougher sell right now..:)

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
With the newest generation of Mini's out now, you can pickup the previous generation's 1.83 Ghz (the one I have) for around $400..so not bad at all..

Trying to convince my wife that I need to upgrade to the iMac Quad-core is seeming to be a tougher sell right now..:)

Regards

Yea agree they are at a awesome price ... the mini's..
Christmas is coming so if your extra good .... lol ;P Maybe just maybe .....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.