Macbook Pro Multitouch Pad: four fingers not working

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been having trouble with my Macbook Pro Multitouch pad. I bought my macbook pro about 3-4 months ago, and until recently I have had no problem.

Within the past few weeks or so, the multitouch pad does not seem to respond to anything using for fingers. I can point and click with one finger, and I can scroll with two fingers, but if I swipe four fingers up, down, left, or right, nothing happens.

I asked my friends to give it a try as well, but it wouldn't work for them either. It's been working on and off for a few weeks, but usually I can't get it to work. However, Expose works if I press the button on the keyboard.

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch everyone for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
are they still checked in the trackpad preference pane?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'd start with wiping the trackpad with a damp cloth.... it could be as simple as dirt interference.
Otherwise, repair disk permissions and rebooting, and if that doesn't fix it, then if you are running 10.5, download the 10.5.8 combo update, and if 10.6, run the 10.6.2 combo update.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm working on some things now and can't restart my computer at the moment, but I checked for updates and then read the details for the 10.6.2 update. Sure enough, it fixes a bug with the "four finger swipe gesture". I'll update first thing tomorrow, but I'm sure that will fix it.

Good call on that one. Thanks a bunch

EDIT: I just found out that the 10.6.2 update fixes a bug for the "four finger swipe gesture". So all is well

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.