What specs do I need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't have one yet, but would like one for my design work
Hi guys.

I'm not currently a Mac user -except for the one I use occasionally at TAFE for my course- but I've been looking into buying one to work on.

I'm currently using an HP Pavillion dv9000 with 500GB HDD, GeForce 8600M GS (512MB RAM), 4GB RAM running windows Vista Ultimate on 64bit hardware.

The problem is, that i was trying to do something in Adobe Illustrator recently and I was stopped with a message that I had run out of RAM.:Not-Amused::'( It was a fairly simple 3D tool tutorial (making a chocolate drop and ripple effect) but totally killed my system. I would have thought that my system would handle it, but alas, it didn't.

Okay, so I'm going to be doing Web and Logo design, using primarily the Adobe suite, as well as working with C# and VB in the .NET environment, using Microsoft Visual Studio. I know that I will need something like bootcamp for the MS stuff (any other suggestions here would be great). What I need to know however, is what specs I would need on a Mac to run some pretty graphics intensive stuff.

If any of you have some ideas of what to go for, I would love to hear them. I would probably be leaning more towards a Macbook Pro as the people I'll be working with prefer the mobility of the notebook/laptop environment. My personal preference however would be for an iMac.

Thanks heaps for any input you might be able to give, it is all very much appreciated.

All the best,

Tim.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.