Apps won't open MS Word, Excel or PowerPoint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 - OS 10.4.11 - 1.5 Gigs of ram
Been using MS office X for several years with no problems.

This afternoon I found I cannot open a new Word document by clicking the Word app in my Dock nor can I open a new Word document by clicking the Word app in my MS office X folder that is in my HD.

The same problem exists with Excel and PowerPoint. Entourage and Messenger work fine and open from either place.

I have discovered the work-around is to open an existing Word document and then in the menu go to File>New Blank Document.

This is a pain. Why doesn't my Word application icon open a new blank document? It was working this morning. It just now stopped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Their plist files might have become corrupt. I don't know any rhyme or reason why this happens, but the fix is simple, if that's the problem, and harmless if it's not.

Open this folder: Users>YourUserName>Library>Preferences>Microsoft (OS 10.5.8 ... could be slightly different in another version)

Find the com.microsoft._____.prefs.plist files, where _____ is each Office application.
Drag them to your Desktop for safekeeping.
Now open the applications and test the result. New prefs.plist files will be created in that Microsoft folder, set to MS defaults.
If the problem is solved, you may need to adjust preferences in the Word(etc.) Menu to get your personal settings back.
If the problem is not solved, the easiest way to get your personal settings back is to drag those prefs.plist files on your Desktop back into that Microsoft folder. It will overwrite the new default files.
That's ok, but it means the initial problem still exists.
Report your results. Good luck!

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your ideas toMACsh.
Sorry to say it did not work. Also my work-around mentioned in my original post has stopped working. Now when I try to open any existing MS Word document, all I get is the wristwatch with the hands frozen at 8 O'Clock.

Problem update: A letter like message appeared last night saying my javascript was missing or was not turned on. Unfortunately it did not tell me how to turn it on orwhat to do about it. Also I now have a small box in the middle of my screen with three lines in it. If I click on the box my MSWord tries to open but it cannot. The box will not go away as "Cancel" and "OK" are greyed out.

The box heading reads "HTML Import Errors" "Problems came up in the following areas during load:"
The three lines read-
Missing file: Macintosh HD: Users'...common /css/default/default/css?27
Missing file: Macintosh HD: Users'...ctus/common/css/contactus.css?27
Missing file: Macintosh HD: Users'...on/css/default/nobranding.css?27

None of this info on my screen means anything to me.

BTW, just before the problem started, I had plugged my new Flip Ultra digital camcorder into my G5's USB front port to load a few short movies I had made. The Flip camera installed FlipShare software and a new FlipShare app in my HD and then loaded the movies.
Can this be the problem?
Walter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Shoot! I was hoping that would do it. It might be time to try reinstalling Office.

Your Javascript message comes up when using Safari, I assume. If so, go to the Safari Menu, click on Security, and enable Javascript.

This box in the middle of the screen appears when... Word is open? Other times? All the time?
Try plugging that title into a Google search and see what comes up. (maybe add Mac to it)
The ... in those three lines is just eliminating your User Name, or some other folder(s) in the path as well?
I have files with css as a suffix. Wikipedia tells me that css can stand for Cascading Style Sheets and is related to web pages written in HTML. That tells me it's related to your browser (Safari?), not Word. You could try the plist trick with com.apple.Safari.plist which is in that Preferences folder I sent you to before. Hope it works for this problem.

The FlipShare thing could be causing havoc, or not. One way to find out is to delete it. You could do a Google search on that and see if there are known issues with your OS. (which is?)

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you again toMACsh and thank you too harryb2448.

I tried everything you both suggested with no luck, so I bit the bullet, and bought a new MS Office for Mac 2008. Apple had it on sale today only for $98.00. I actually drove to an Apple store in Delaware (45min drive) to buy it. No sales tax in DE.

I deleted much of my old Office X just before the install, but I soon found out I didn't really need too. Near the end of the install the new MS software searched my Mac for older versions of Office so It could delete them. Cool.

The box on my screen that I could not get to go away disappeared when I trashed my older Office x folder before my new install.

The bottom line is that the new 2008 version of Office for Mac is running perfectly so I think I am home free. My wife is the kiss of death for many of our apps and hardware too. She will be using Word tomorrow.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Walter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
knock on wood

Glad things are looking better for you. I'm surprised that the window (a.k.a. "box) with the three lines of text was related to Office. Sure looked like terms related to your browser. Did the JavaScript message go away also?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Now update your new purchase to version 12.2.3 Walter. Despite all the bad comments on thee forums, found Mac 2008 to be fast, responsive and never had a crash (touches wood).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Now update your new purchase to version 12.2.3 Walter. Despite all the bad comments on thee forums, found Mac 2008 to be fast, responsive and never had a crash (touches wood).

Agreed (and touch wood again), I have found the same since the 12.2.3 update.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
toMACsh,
I trashed the javascript notice after I looked at my Safari Prefs and saw that the javascript was already checked as on.

harryb2448,
At the end of my MS Office 2008 install procedure, the software looked for any updates and found the 12.2.3 update. I then installed it too.
I am very impressed with the features and thoughtfulness that MS has put into MS Word for Mac 2008. I hope to watch the tutorials I received in the welcoming email from MS.

My wife has used the new MS Word for two days now and really likes it. Wish I could install it in this old G3 laptop that I mostly use. I am allowed to install the new MS Office in a total of 3 computers This white 800 MGh G3 is maxed out with OS 10.3.9. Have been eyeing the new Apple Mac Book. The $999.99 model loaded with power and nice features, better than my G5 which is what my wife hogs. If I buy it at MicroCenter this month there is a $200.00 rebate if I use my Visa Card online. I would miss not having firewire though. I regularly transfer stuff from this old G3 to the G5 and visa versa using the Firewire exchange program.

Thank you both for your help and concern.
Walter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Even though I don't use my firewire, the older Macbooks come with it, and I have no idea why they got rid of it in the new ones. I must say though, that's a good price for a new Macbook.
You may find that a second hand Macbook with firewire is a better option for you, as long as it's from a reputable seller.
If you check the buy/sell/trade Buy/Sell/Trade - Mac-Forums.com section of this forum, you may find something, as well as the good seller/bad seller list at the top of that forum.
I'd happily trade mine for that, as I don't use firewire, but mine's a late 2007 out warranty, and even though it's got great specs, and runs like a charm, a new machine is a new machine, and I think you'll be more than happy with it, and get used to the usb instead of the firewire. You may just have to drink more teas or coffees while waiting for data transfers :)

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
harryb2448,

Yes I know the requirements for the MS office 2008 which is why I said I wish I could Install it in my G3, but I know I can't since my G3 is running the most advanced OS it can handle which is only OS 10.3.9.
MS Office X is what I use on this G3.

6string.

I only use Firewire to transfer data for one Mac to another by using the Target Disk Mode procedure. Quick and easy.
I like the idea of finding a used but not so old laptop Mac on this forum. Didn't know that was an option.

Walter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it is, but the new mac is still a great deal, also, you may consider a refurbished iMac, which comes with firewire, warranty, and option to extend warranty!
check this out Refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (Australia)
this is on the Australian site in AU$, but I'm sure you could get the same on the US site for a little less.
Great specs as well :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.