Tiger won't startup on G5 PPC

Reaction score
Had this tower for about 4 years, and I'm hoping the hard drive isn't fried. One day it just refused to start, the apple logo screen with the loading icon spinning. It just stays there and the fans get louder and louder till I have to force shut it off. :Shouting:

A major problem is that I don't have the tiger software anymore, and have upgraded to Leopard, so I tried to boot from a leopard disk that I got with this macbook, but to no avail. Any solutions to this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The DVDs that come with individual Macs are tied to the specific Machine type. Thus the MacBook DVD won't boot the G5 (I won't point out the whole PPC vs Intel issue there).

If you need Tiger, check E-bay for a retail copy, should be fairly cheap.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed completely with Baggss. That 10.5 Leopard DVD that came with your Macbook. It's Intel only and tied to that model Macbook.

OP
B
Reaction score
borrowed a leopard dvd from a friend... now trying to erase the hard drive and getting all sorts of errors: input/output error etc.... is all hope lost?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Buy your own Leopard disc, making sure it is a full retail install disc and not a model specific version which will work exclusively with the model machine it was issued with. Boot from your own disc and run Repair Disc. From the sound of things your drive may have failed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.