LCD Monitor Questions

EFS

Reaction score
The other day I bought a 21.5 inch LCD eMachines Monitor to hook up to my MacBook when I'm home. The rest of this post is going to make me sound like a crazy person, but I don't have a lot of money right now, and I'm super anal about anything even remotely expensive that I own. Once again, I apologize for having OCD, here it goes anyway:

I know this is not the right forum to be posting this on, but I only have an account to a few technology related forums and I like the community over here, so, here it goes:

So I was unboxing my new LCD monitor when it was hit by a swinging DVI cable that I was uncoiling. It didn't get hit very hard, and there are no scratches or cracks on the monitor, but I am just wondering if it could have caused any "invisible" damage that could affect the quality/performance of the picture/monitor (like internal problems). My roommate also threw a stuffed hamster at it today (one of those harder ones with the beans inside, still no noticeable outside damage) Is that possible? Thanks in advance.

As a side note, does anyone else have this monitor or another eMachines monitor? Also, how much abuse can these LCDs take before they become, let's just say, "un-usable"

Thanks again

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The other day I bought a 21.5 inch LCD eMachines Monitor to hook up to my MacBook when I'm home. The rest of this post is going to make me sound like a crazy person, but I don't have a lot of money right now, and I'm super anal about anything even remotely expensive that I own. Once again, I apologize for having OCD, here it goes anyway:

I know this is not the right forum to be posting this on, but I only have an account to a few technology related forums and I like the community over here, so, here it goes:

So I was unboxing my new LCD monitor when it was hit by a swinging DVI cable that I was uncoiling. It didn't get hit very hard, and there are no scratches or cracks on the monitor, but I am just wondering if it could have caused any "invisible" damage that could affect the quality/performance of the picture/monitor (like internal problems). My roommate also threw a stuffed hamster at it today (one of those harder ones with the beans inside, still no noticeable outside damage) Is that possible? Thanks in advance.

As a side note, does anyone else have this monitor or another eMachines monitor? Also, how much abuse can these LCDs take before they become, let's just say, "un-usable"

Thanks again

You explained a bunch of "goofy" things that have happened with this monitor...but you never really said what the problem or problems are.

You asked about "invisible damage"...if you're not having any problems...then let's assume there was no "invisible damage"!;)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I don't know. I think the cord banging against it maybe caused 2 days worth of damage and the stuffed hamster maybe 5 days. So, assuming the monitor should last 5 years, that would be $0.095 per day in damage. At 5 days, I'd say your roommate owes you $0.48.

That is, if it didn't perhaps knock something back into place that was knocked slightly out of place during it's trip from China to your house. In that case, you owe your roommate the $0.48.

OP
E

EFS

Reaction score
I told you all I was crazy! Thats the OCD typing, not me! Thanks everyone for the funny reply's. I get too crazy sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have you thought about a replacement Roommate? Give him/her the 48c to move on.

Reaction score
if there are no scratches or dead pixels then you're good. Something bad that happends to an LCD would be visible not really such a thing when it comes to invisible damage. You're just unlucky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.