Fan driving me nuts

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a MBP 15" with Snow Leopard, originally had Leopard on it. Now the fan on this laptop is driving me somewhat insane. Looking at the Activity monitor I can see that kernal_task takes up 55 threads. Having said that iStat Pro reports that my CPU is at 78 degree's, now for me thats worrying, because I dont really use the laptop for intensive stuff, unless im playing Football Manager. I have it sat on a hard surface. This also happens when the laptop is idle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I found that when my MBP started cranking up the Fans a peek in the activity monitor showed Mail causing a heavy demand on Processor hence fans. Never did find out why Mail did it, but quitting Mail and re opening sorted it until next time, which was very infrequent. Or if it continues resetting the SMC might be an option.

OP
M
Reaction score
Think I will power off reset SMC, and power on again when I have finished my dinner.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well that didn't help, any other way that I can track down whats causing this? The fan wouldn't be on its way out would it?

OP
M
Reaction score
Posted about this on another forum that I frequent and someone suggested that it might be due to dust. But I cant do anything about it as taking the bottom off would invalidate the warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5'' 3.2GHz i3 running 10.7.2
kernel_task taking that thread count is normal. Sort activity monitor by %CPU and see if anything is hogging the CPU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
can of compressed air is always handy - blow around the keyboard and around the hinge. And definitely check Activity Monitor/CPU when it's running the fans hard to check what's eating up cycles.

OP
M
Reaction score
found that it was the printer software causing the issue. Removed it and now everything's back to normal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.