3 & 4 finger swipe not working

Reaction score
I bought a 13" MacBook Pro about 2 months ago and its been a mostly trouble free experience. But one thing keeps bothering me. Sometimes when I try to navigate in safari I find that the three finger swipe gesture used to navigate back does not seem to register. I then try to use expose with the four finger swipe and that doesn't work either. I can still use two fingers to scroll so the problem is only with the 3 & 4 finger swipes.

I can fix the problem by rebooting the Mac but this is annoying when I don't notice the problem immediately and have started working. So I was wondering does anyone know why is happening and if there is a way to restore functionality of the trackpad without restarting the computer(like a console command)? Or if there is a permeate solution the problem?

I am using Snow Leopard v10.6.2

Thanks for your help,

Reaction score
Enhaia, you are not alone. I have the exact same setup as you and my 3/4 finger swipes sometimes stop working and require a restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4gb, 500gb
Applecare!! Take her back and have it looked at. Maybe a bad sensor or kanutter valve.

Reaction score
this is bs. mine's been doing this since b4 snow leopard and it continued after. I guess I'm gonna have to do without my laptop for however long it takes to get fixed with applecare. not cool mac. not cool at all. I'm no longer an advocate after this and other problems. Its a facade.:Shouting:

Reaction score
this has only happened to me once and a quick shutdown helped. i hasn't happened again. maybe its because i shut down before i put it away for the night

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic
This has happened to me too, only the once mind you. It occurred after my upgrade to Snow Leopard, and I assumed it was due to the fact I hadn't shut my macbook down for a couple of days (i usually shut the lid and let it sleep).

The simple restart for me cleared the issue, and left me happy as larry!
I didn't go for applecare after I had my 12" Powerbook G4 for 5 years and all it needed was a new battery and even that was covered under the recall!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
before any of you get to lost in trying to find a solution..... update (even if you are already running on 10.6.2) to the Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update (Combo)
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.26 Ghz 500 GB, iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz 1 TB
I'm having the same problem now. I restart my computer everyday as I take it back and forth from the office daily. Will respond back if the update fixes the problem. I hope I don't have to give up my laptop - I need it for work.

Reaction score
New guy here - but my 3 finger swipes just stopped working today.... I have a 2.66 i7 w/ 8Gig Ram. Anyone found anything that is working to solve this problem? I've tried restarting but nothing has worked so far....

I just reinstalled the OS and updating right now....still doesn't work.... AGHHHH Didn't know how much I was loving the 3 finger swipes until they were gone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.