Keynote Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Every time I open Keynote I get the following error notice. I've reinstalled iWorks, deleted the plist file, repaired permissions, run the Onyx maintenance routines, and Google searched the issue. I can't figure this out. Can anyone suggest what I should try next?

When I click on "OK" the error message disappears and Keynote seems to work normally. I say "seems to" because I really haven't done anything with it other than play back forwarded slide shows. It does that OK.

Screen shot 2009-11-29 at 9.58.29 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Is Keynote looking for a file that you have moved from when it last played? Play it from the new folder that might sort it.

OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Is Keynote looking for a file that you have moved from when it last played? Play it from the new folder that might sort it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that's it. This error appears right away when Keynote comes up, and before any particular file has been requested. The only file I've played since the last reinstall is still on the desktop where its always been. I saw some post talking about Keynote having trouble with some its own Themes, but I don't think that's it either.

Any more ideas?

PS: Here is the Console System Log covering the latest Keynote error episode:

Nov 29 15:29:28 George-Roberts-MacBookPro-7 [0x0-0x6e06e].com.apple.iWork.Keynote[898]: objc[898]: Class BGTheme is implemented in both /Applications/iWork '09/Keynote.app/Contents/MacOS/Keynote and /Users/georgeroberts/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/Afloat.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Afloat. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Nov 29 15:29:30 George-Roberts-MacBookPro-7 [0x0-0x6e06e].com.apple.iWork.Keynote[898]: objc[898]: Class SIMBL is implemented in both /Library/InputManagers/SIMBL/SIMBL.bundle/Contents/MacOS/SIMBL and /Library/ScriptingAdditions/SIMBL.osax/Contents/MacOS/SIMBL. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Nov 29 15:29:30 George-Roberts-MacBookPro-7 [0x0-0x6e06e].com.apple.iWork.Keynote[898]: objc[898]: Class SIMBLPlugin is implemented in both /Library/InputManagers/SIMBL/SIMBL.bundle/Contents/MacOS/SIMBL and /Library/ScriptingAdditions/SIMBL.osax/Contents/MacOS/SIMBL. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Nov 29 15:29:30 George-Roberts-MacBookPro-7 Keynote[898]: +[SIMBL logMessage:atLevel:]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0x3388160
Nov 29 15:29:30 George-Roberts-MacBookPro-7 Keynote[898]: Exception caught by top level: NSInvalidArgumentException : +[SIMBL logMessage:atLevel:]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0x3388160

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
How about using Clean App - or one of those, and removing Keynote/iWork, then reinstall from disk.
Then if that did not help and i was really clutching at straws i might try the Combo updater on the OS. What is the Afloat Plugin? Can u get rid of that temporarily.

OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Thank you Collin BL! Not only was I having the error problem with Keynote, buy my Photoshop Elements 8 had started crashing to the Desktop on start up. You mentioned Afloat, which is a SIMBOL plug in for various apps. I wondered about it when I saw it mentioned in the log. Anyway, after reading your post, I went back and reinstalled Afloat. Now everything works the way it should. No more Keynote error message, and PE8 runs fine too. What a relief!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.