How to delete hidden files on external HDD

Reaction score
I connect my Iomega external HDD to my MBP that runs snow leopard. I noticed whenever i delete any files from any jump drive, thumb drive, external HDD it doesn't vanish from the drive but instead it stays hidden and still takes up space. In the past i connect the drive to my PC and delete these hidden files and folders. That is quite inconvenient so i was wondering if anyone knows how to delete these hidden files on a Mac without having to use a PC??

Thanks in advance.

P.S. i have tried searching for the solution on google but i couldn't find what i was looking for. ;D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Empty the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
If, as advised, you have emptied the trash with the external device(s) attached/inserted, and the data remains, then we need to know more about it.

Files, other than the database one, on an external device are seldom 'hidden', so could you describe them a bit more. Have you at some stage used an external device as a boot volume, ie. has it had an OS on it?

Of course, one way to delete absolutely everything on an external device is to reformat it, that'll take care of the pesky 'hidden' files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.