Nothing but the fan

Reaction score
My iBook G4 has been getting sicker and sicker for some time.

I now have an identical replacement.

The old machine has some physical damage, no doubt about it. It fell out of my backpack a few weeks ago, but has continued to function more or less well since.

Now, on the very day that my replacement has arrived, the old machine seems to have given up the ghost.

Yesterday, it started to freeze. After being on for ten or fifteen minutes a line of dodgy interference appears across the screen and all activity ceases. Generally, a reboot gets things running again.

This morning, I booted up the replacement and attempted to migrate my files across via firewire. The migration process failed at various stages in various attempts. I have / had the strong feeling that all I need is twenty minutes of normal life from the old machine and I can get everything I need, but this is based purely on my intuition.

NOW, I cannot boot the old machine at all. It turns on, making the appropriate sound, but there is nothing on the screen at all and all that seems to be happening is that the fan is spinning. I can't get it up in safe mode, or firewire mode. I cannot switch it off either. It just sits there whirring at me, darkly.

It feels 'dead'.

I am reasonable satisfied that it isn't just a screen problem. If it were just screen I would still be able to get the firewire connection.

I do, of course, have a fully functional iBook, and a firewire cable. The optical drive on the old machine does not work at all.

Objective:
Ideal - Get the old machine working well enough to migrate what I need.
2nd best - Get it working well enough for me to take my files off with a flash drive.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

I have looked at the discussion and I am pretty convinced i do need a hard drive enclosure, but the discussion does not make it clear which I need. In fact it is very unclear on the matter.

Can someone tell me exactly which device will serve my purpose best? (iBook G4 running 10.4.6)

It will only be used once in its whole life, so I am keen not to spend anymore than necessary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.