Dhcp Problems With Airport

T

themoll

I have a belkin 4 port ethernet hub and router that my 2 macs and 1 windows use to access the internet and each other.

I bought a Powerbook and recently have put airport extreme on.

If I connect the Wan port of the airport to the belkin I get clashes with the lease from the DHCP server but I am able to administer the base station.

If I connect the LAN port of the airport to the belkin all is well on the network, but I cannot do any administration to the base station.

My ip ranges are 192.168.0.1 onwards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
so what exactly is your problem?

when you connect the belkin to the wan port of the base station, you are trying to use 2 gateways with the same ip address on both. you can change the ip of the belkin (probably the base station too but i am not for sure of the). i have changed mine from the standard 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.1xx that way if anyone managed to get into my network, they would have a hard time trying to guess the router's ip to access it.

when you connect the base station to the belkin, if is just an access point and you dont really need to administrate the base station (i could be wrong though).

OP
T

themoll

I have sorted it now.

The problem was the base station was giving out an ip address as well as the router.

I turned the feature off in the base station admin and everything works fine now!! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.