• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning a dvd movie

Reaction score
I have just downloaded my first movie on iTunes.

I was able to put it on my iphone, however is it possible and legal to burn it to a dvd as I wish to watch it on my TV and only have a dvd player and not the apple TV device

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No, movies purchased from the iTunes store are encrypted and copy-protected and can only be used with iTunes, AppleTV or an iPod/iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Core 2 Duo Unibody MacBook 4GB, 1TB Time Capsule
Absolutely ridiculous.

I've bought a few movies on iTunes because it was easy for me to download them and not have to wait for the discs to arrive, but then to not be able to watch them anywhere else other than on my laptop is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard.

If I bought the discs I'd be able to watch them anywhere, lend to whoever I like and generally act like a sentient human being.

Sometimes I just hate Apple.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure Apple could care less whether you burn it to a DVD. Much like with music, the controls are dictated by the studios.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
In all honesty, this is how any of the places that supply movies for sale (or rent) with DRM works, so don't blame Apple for standard practice - eventually maybe apple will convince the production companies to release DRM free movies (similar to iTunes plus music) but I wouldn't hold my breath. Yes, DRM sucks, but it's the way of the world when it comes to movies as long as that's what the production companies want.

If you want to watch it on the TV, I'd suggest getting an appropriate cable and hook your laptop to your tv, then (hopefully if you have one) use an apple remote to control the playback so you can watch the movie on the big screen.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks cwa, macdontfloat and Nethfel.

It does seem a bit crazy, yes I have an apple remote but the most logical place to watch a movie is on a TV using a DVD player. We should at least be allowed to make one dvd copy!

Last movie I download for a while, or time to get apple TV,

Thanks for all the advise

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks cwa, macdontfloat and Nethfel.

It does seem a bit crazy, yes I have an apple remote but the most logical place to watch a movie is on a TV using a DVD player. We should at least be allowed to make one dvd copy!

Last movie I download for a while, or time to get apple TV,

Thanks for all the advise

For what it's worth, I agree. And I vote with my wallet. In this case, I have never purchased any video from iTMS and never will until I can back it up on permanent media and easily port it over to my TV without the need for a half-baked device like the AppleTV.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I never did purchase any video from them until I got my HTPC set up either.

Have bought some HD TV seasons now that I've got a way to play it and keep it all backed up. They're only hurting themselves at this point by having much of their HD content only available via AppleTV. Not to mention their HD 720p pricing as high or higher than the B-R disc.

Also takes forever to download video from iTunes vs Amazon's service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
ps - I will also note, I don't get any videos via iTunes, the only ones I have are when a DVD or bluray I bought would come with a digital version included... Like CWA, I vote with my wallet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.