assistance with upgrades

Reaction score
I just recieved an old hand-me-down PowerMac G4 from my aunt this thanksgiving and I'm looking to put some upgrades in it. I'd like to eventually use this computer for music storage and listening, recording, photo editing, school-work, and basic internet surfing.
Here are the details listed in the "About this Mac" tab:

Machine Model: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.9)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 450 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 384 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 3.2.6f1
Serial Number: XB0242NMJ2S
Sales Order Number: 0100236651XB0242NM1234123412341234

Now I was on eBay the other day and I was pricing firstly a new CPU because I cannot deal with a 400 MHz CPU for much longer. I just can't. I found a dual-core 1.something GHz and after contacting him he said something to the matter that that processor would not work on my motherboard. What my main question is, is what kind of motherboard replacement should I be looking at and what kind of price range would a motherboard cost me?
I'm just looking for some help with all this stuff. I'm very new to Macs and still have many questions about this computer but just starting off with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I'm sure that some of the Mac old timers (pre-Intel) members on the forum are going to come down on me for this, but frankly in my opinion what you've got there is a great door stop or boat anchor. I'd use it for what it can do for me today in its present condition. I wouldn't spend a dime on it. If I found it to be useless to me, I'd simply get rid of it. Sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh. That's just the way I see it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Now I was on eBay the other day and I was pricing firstly a new CPU because I cannot deal with a 400 MHz CPU for much longer. I just can't. I found a dual-core 1.something GHz and after contacting him he said something to the matter that that processor would not work on my motherboard. What my main question is, is what kind of motherboard replacement should I be looking at and what kind of price range would a motherboard cost me?

First your CPU speed is 450mhz...not 400mhz...not a big difference.

You don't replace the motherboard on Powermac G4's...you get a processor upgrade. Processor upgrades are pretty pricey...as are the other upgrades.

Bottom line is...this computer you have is worth $50 bucks...maybe even less. Take this into consideration when purchasing upgrades.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm sure that some of the Mac old timers (pre-Intel) members on the forum are going to come down on me for this, but frankly in my opinion what you've got there is a great door stop or boat anchor. I'd use it for what it can do for me today in its present condition. I wouldn't spend a dime on it. If I found it to be useless to me, I'd simply get rid of it. Sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh. That's just the way I see it.

I'm mostly in agreement with you.:)

The only exceptions would be if someone could get a REALLY cheap price on a processor upgrade...or if someone already had some parts laying around which would cost "zero"...but these two exceptions are long-shots!

I agree...this computer is really not a good candidate for upgrading,:(...but fine as a backup computer.

- Nick

Reaction score
First your CPU speed is 450mhz...not 400mhz...not a big difference.

You don't replace the motherboard on Powermac G4's...you get a processor upgrade. Processor upgrades are pretty pricey...as are the other upgrades.

Bottom line is...this computer you have is worth $50 bucks...maybe even less. Take this into consideration when purchasing upgrades.

- Nick[/QUOTE

I was going to say the same thing, you need to work out how much you will have to spend on this computer to make it useful to you. Then take that figure and look on ebay.....you may be able to get a much better spec used Mac for the money you would be spending making this G4 any good.

Just my two cents. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.