Specific Time Machine Questions

Reaction score
I have some questions about Time Machine that are pretty stupid, but I need to know.

A week ago my hard drive died and I had to get it replaced by Apple. The most recent backup I have is from a month ago, and since then I've added about 300 songs to my iPod. So the backup has a large chunk of my music, but not all. Right now I'm restoring a complete backup that includes essentially the whole old hard drive with no exclusions, I think. Anyways, I'm planning on using Senuti to transfer my songs from my iPod to iTunes, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about it.
Once the backup is done, should I just erase my whole iTunes library and then plug in everything from my iPod? I'm afraid of losing something or what not.

Also, the backups were all made on Leopard, and my new HD has Snow Leopard. There won't be any problems with that, will there?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
If you do a complete restore, Time Machine also reinstalls the OS. Most likely you'll get Leopard installed on the new HD when you finish restoring it.

There's a couple ways of transferring music from your iPod to the computer. Senuti works and I delete the iTunes Library but not "move to trash." And then copy the music folder to the desktop just in case. Then I would use Senuti and copy everything. But up to you. :)

OP
W
Reaction score
Okay thanks for the help. Here's what I did.

I went into time machine and restored the whole "Mac HD" folder from the most recent back up, and said to keep both. So is it possible for me to just delete the duplicate applications and such from the newer Mac HD but still keep snow leopard and such?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nothing new, iLife is now and always has been a separate set of applications from the OS. It's just been included on new Macs.

If you did a restore from a Time Machine backup that had those, it should have restored those also.

If not, stick in your original Leopard DVD, click on Optional Installs, and then:

check here, not going to type it all again.

OP
W
Reaction score
Great I'll do that, thanks!

Is there a way for me to just go into my backups and bring over all my old user stuff? When I go there everything has the little minus sign and says I don't have permission to access it. But instead of doing a full restore from an old backup I'd like to just bring over the essentials. Ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.