• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

mpg files no longer play in QT on Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'll try and give a brief synopsis of my issue.

Since updating to Snow Leopard, mpgs will not play in QT 7 or QT X. Specifically, the mpgs that won't play are H.264 and AC3 in mpeg 2 format (excuse my terminology if it is incorrect).

When I say they won't play; in Quicktime 7 the application will launch (but not bounce on the dock) and eventually load a window playing as if it was a silent mp3 and then start not responding. In Quicktime X it will report "The document *.mpg could not be opened" or indicates a system error "The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -12710.)" this has 0 hits on Google.

I have tried reinstalling Perian, my Quicktime Mpeg2 component and both versions of Quicktime to no avail.

These files will still play fine in VLC, and on my Playstation 3 but will not load properly in Mpeg Streamclip. As a side note, I only noticed this problem when trying to create a reference version of the file to iTunes using VideoDrive.

This is driving me insane!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not sure what's happening there. I had similar issues with QuickTime X after upgrading to SL until I remembered needing to install the QuickTime MPEG Playback Component. You've already tried that though so unless the install did not proceed properly.

If I have any files like that I will give it a try and see if I get the same results.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, it is strange! What is stranger is that I didn't need to use the Mpeg 2 component before SL. I suppose Perian covered those codecs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 iMac10,1 High Sierra 10.13.6, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 12GB RAM, 500GB Storage
I recently converted from Windows XP to Mac Snow Leopard. None of my MPEG-2 videos would play. So I bought the QT MPEG playback component and the videos play allright but the AC3 audio does not. Now I don't know if the QT pro will play the video and audio or not. So don't buy the QT MPEG player, but if you want one cheap I will send you mine. I wish I could go back to before I bought the Mac and just got a new PC with Windows 7. I know the stress would not be this bad and I would have saved $1000. Who can save my sanity and judvard's and tell us how to play our MPEG videos and with sound. I downloaded the Flip4Mac and can play .wmv videos and with sound. Someone help! Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have you tried VLC ????
You can get HERE

It plays pretty much any audio and movie format there is on this planet :)
Enjoy

Description
VLC Media Player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 iMac10,1 High Sierra 10.13.6, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 12GB RAM, 500GB Storage
Downloaded VLC. Couldn't be happier with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.