Should I buy the Macbook 13 or the Macbook Pro 13?

Reaction score
I've looked at both online (the 2.26 ghz MBP) and noticed it seems strange that the regular macbook is cheaper, has completely identical specs but has more hard drive space than the MBP now? Basically, it seems like for 200 dollars extra, you are getting backlit keys, a firewire port, an sd slot, but almost 100 gigs less of hard drive space? Is there any reason to spend more to get the MBP since you're basically spending more to get lower specs (Hard drive space) than the regular macbook? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I think you answered your own question. If those things you listed are not important to you, by all means get the MacBook and save the cash.

Reaction score
The MBP screen has a glass front (which I prefer). Also, the MBP has a unibody aluminum frame - I don't know if this is stronger than the MB's plastic unibody frame or not.

Either would be good depending upon how you weigh the pros and cons.

Reaction score
I went with the Pro primarily for the illuminated keys since I often am in a dark room using the computer. That alone was worth it to me, not to mention how much better the aluminum body looks, and it's thinner.

Reaction score
I just bought the 13" pro, and, admittedly, alot of my reasoning came from the flashy style, the light up keys, glass screen covering and sdhc slot works perfect for me, not to mention it's a bit thinner. but i's alo my first mac. so i have nothing to compare it to..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
The screen is supposedly better on the Pro as well (I can't validate this though).

Reaction score
personally i would go for the pro.
the screen, lighted keys, an flashy look was a big selling point for me

plus it seems like everybody nowadays has the whitebook
be different ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately a MacBookAir (which I hate)
the lighted keys are AWESOME. also, if you are a student, then the MacBook is $949. VERY cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB
The pro is $999 refurbished. Refurbished is a broken computer which has been repaired to be like new again. Don't be afraid to buy refurb from apple, but I wouldn't trust third partie's refurb MacBooks. I'd go for the mbp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
If you have ever had/used a notebook with a backlit keyboard, I am pretty sure you wouldn't be asking this question.

The backlit keyboard is amazing. I didn't think of it much before I got it, but it is amazing.

Reaction score
I bought the 13" MacBook Pro a few days ago simply because the local Apple retailer didn't have the MacBook in stock. I'm kind of glad I did get the Pro though, it is a much nicer looking computer and feels really solid, definitely worth the extra cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Nov. 2009 4gb ram
I bought a 13 inch Pro, and I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
I hate the black and glass on the pro i bought I now have the macbook and love it they only thing i could love more would be tablet the backlit keyboard was more of a pain then a help for me.

Reaction score
I bought the pro... you also gain a better battery life with the pro... another 3 hours or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I got my MBP just before the new MBs came out, but I have to say if you get a MBP, you'll never look back. I had a white MacBook (late '07) before, and although a lot of the difference is superficial, the MBPs are amazingly nice :p. If you've got the cash and the Firewire/SD ports and the other little bells and whistles mean anything to you, go for it, but otherwise, the MB is, as you said, just as good.

Reaction score
I thought battery life was the same on a pro as on a unibody macbook?
also, how is a backlight keyboard a hindrance?
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I got my first Apple notebook MBP 13 two months ago and I love it so much. Planning to get a MB for my wife since she loves white and she doesn't really care about those SD Slot, the firewire port and the backlit key at all.

Reaction score
I have the backlit keyboard and I'll be honest, I don't use it unless I'm in low light (completely dark) situations or where I'm typing in numbers in low light situations.

Then again, I'm a pretty fast typer and can type without pecking at the keyboard.

The Pro is pretty cool but it's up to you. I bought mine before the unibody came out. If the white shell didn't discolor, I would have boguht it instead.

-rockstate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)
I thought battery life was the same on a pro as on a unibody macbook?

Yes you're right, they both have the same battery life. They are effectively the same computer, with a different material for the shell and the pro has a couple of extra features, which in my opinion, if you like the look of the white and dont need firewire, SD and backlit keyboard, get the Macbook and save yourself some $$$, also comes with a bigger hard drive as well!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.