Spotlight help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
I am uncertain how to construct a boolean search where one of the terms is a file extension. Specifically, an Endnote bibliographic library is stored as a file with extension .enl. I want to ask Spotlight to show me all files on my computer that have the extension .enl and that are located in a folder with U54 in the folder name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
May I suggest that you use Cmd-F from Finder instead? From my experience, it does a better job than Spotlight. It is also more 'tolerant' of using punctuation like the . preceding the file extension.

Alternatively, simply type the enl without the . You're likely to get an awful lot of results, eg. words which contain those three letters, but it should reveal the file(s) you're seeking, including anything within the U54 ƒ.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Try EasyFind, freeware from Devon Technologies.
Download

It supports Boolean searches, and will find hidden and system files for you.

I like it a lot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.