microsoft office for Mac2007 on Macbookpro

Reaction score
I had to install the micrsoft office for Mac2007 on my Macbookpro because that is the software my school uses. (Believe me when I say, it is coming off as soon as I graduate) Since then my computer freezes, runs slow, can't access the internet and I have had to force quit several times. I know OS systems have very little viruses out there but could I get one because of the Microsoft software or am I still protected because it is running on an OS system? Should I check for a virus and How?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You mean 2008? Or do you really mean 2007? I ask, because 2007 is a Windows version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never seen those kinds of issues caused by a MS install.. I've been running 08 for a while now. If you didn't download it, the chances of virus are well.. that ain't an issue. If you did download it, chances of trojans in warez are pretty high actually. Might want to check your drive space, run periodic maintenance (sudo periodic daily weekly monthly) etc

OP
L
Reaction score
I actually did download it because I needed it right away (bought it through an unquestionable reputable source). Are you saying that despite having the Mac OS, using a program made for Mac by microsoft can still infect the entire computer? I am a complete novice, so I don't know how to check for a virus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm saying that if you downloaded warez (as opposed to say.. a downloadable paid version) that it's highly likely that whoever cracked the program inserted something else. This is true regardless of OS, or program manufacturer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Downloading anything through pirate torrents can cause huge problems as they are often loaded with malware, worms and Trojans. Trash everything to do with Office, with AppTrap or AppDelete hopefully, clean cache on your browser and hope nothing else has been affected.

Do a Google for worms on pirated software. Here is one:-

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10148359-83.html

OP
L
Reaction score
This was NOT pirated software. I bought it through a legitimate Government business, that had the option to download after payment or wait for the disc. I think a bought the disk in addition to the download. In terms of getting a virus, is this software although legitimate, more likely to pick up a virus from other downloaded material since it is micorsoft software or will the mac os help prevent it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mac Office 2008 should not cause the problems you stated. If you received a corrupted download (very possible) because of the program size, that may be the reason it's not working correctly.

Use the MS Office 2008 uninstaller (do NOT use an application delete program as they do not work for Office 2008) to completely remove Office 2008. When you receive your disk in the mail, reinstall it and then download the service packs from Microsoft. (They should download automatically through software update download).

In the meantime if you need a MS Office file compatible program, download the free Open Office 3.1.1 for OS X.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.