Thinking about buying "broken" macbook

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a macbook pro that had some liquid spilled on it. The only problem that i can see is the keyboard doesn't work. It powers on ok and will work fine with an external keyboard. He's selling it for a great price and I wanted to get some advice on how much it might cost to repair. I'm assuming that since it powers up OK and works with an external keyboard it's not something major like the logic board. Could it be something as simple as buying a new keyboard. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A friend of mine has a macbook pro that had some liquid spilled on it. The only problem that i can see is the keyboard doesn't work. It powers on ok and will work fine with an external keyboard. He's selling it for a great price and I wanted to get some advice on how much it might cost to repair. I'm assuming that since it powers up OK and works with an external keyboard it's not something major like the logic board. Could it be something as simple as buying a new keyboard. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Well...it may depend on how much it is being sold for. What are the specs on the computer & how much is it selling for?

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
He's selling it for $550 and it's an intel core 2 duo, 2.16 ghz with 2 gb or ram and 120 hard drive. Screen is in great shape and according to what I'm told all the ports work. It boots up with no issues as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
He's selling it for $550 and it's an intel core 2 duo, 2.16 ghz with 2 gb or ram and 120 hard drive. Screen is in great shape and according to what I'm told all the ports work. It boots up with no issues as well.

That's not a great price for a non-fully-working MacBook. It may be an "ok" price if the ONLY problem is the keyboard...if you can find an inexpensive replacement keyboard, and if you can do the replacement yourself!

3 months ago I purchased a 2.0ghz White Macbook core 2 duo for $400! This was a fully operational, very clean MacBook. Came with the original box, install DVD's...and the battery still gave 5 hours of runtime on a full charge.

IMHO...this is not the "best" deal,:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.