Choosing my next computer (migrating from MBA and iMac G5)

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a new main computer. I'm actually planning on replacing my current computers (a Rev. A Macbook Air and an iMac G5 with iSight) with a single, powerful Macbook Pro.

I do have a few questions though, as I can't really gauge the answers.

I need performance. Right now the MBA is driving me crazy with it's heat issues and beachballing. The iMac G5 is also outdated. Is a Macbook Pro capable of effortlessly doing these thing:

- Watch long videos (movies, youtube) without going choppy.
- Open a few browser tabs, office, itunes withouth beachballing.
- Run apps in Unity mode of VMware at a usable speed. I like to use the Windows version of Office at times.

I know the new iMacs are really powerful, but mobility is an issue as I spend 2-3 days a week at my parents place or on a business trip and need some powerful mobile computing. So the question is, whether I should buy an iMac and a Macbook, or a 13" 2.53 Ghz Macbook Pro with an external screen.

It ends up costing around the same.

Look forward to your suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I would definitely get a MacBook Pro and maybe an external display. You obviously have the cash so I would look at the 15" and 17" as well. I have the 17" and I put my 23" external away a long time ago. It really isn't that big or heavy. I bring mine to work every single day so I would know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.