graphics card upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core
hello all,

as You may be able to tell from my name i am new to the world of Macs, and so far i am loving my Mac.

i am looking to upgrade my graphics card though, i currently have a nvidia geforce gt 120 in slot one and the same in slot 2, not too sure if that means i have 2 cards or what?

i do a lot of 3D rendering with Maya, for my uni course, and i am looking to get a new card around the 1 GB, or higher, mark.

i am running 2 x 2.26 quad core intel xeon's with 16 gb of ram.
my 'Everything Mac' book says that the graphics card is a 'PCI express 2.0 graphics card with a dual-link dvi connector and a mini DisplayPort connector.'

i have seen that there are graphics cards made for Macs, and the ones for pc's, but i have been told that the newer Macs are very close to pc's now, architecture wise that is, so can i run a pc PCI graphics card in my Mac or do i have to go for a more expensive Mac one??

lastly can anyone recommend a good, but relatively cheap, ie nothing near the £1,000 , that will work with my Mac

thanks for Your help people,

kind regards michael

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Mac & Windows computer video cards are not the same...you need the "Mac version" of any video card you're interested in.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.